Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Nnickty,

Here is the troubleshooting table from my writeup. Although I initially created this for a 67 sequential, I have revised this for the 68.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good Luck

Coach Jack

K8 (right) and K9 (left) Relay – Sequential Main Turn Signal relays
Function
Energizes the appropriate left or right contacts for the inner and outer taillights.
Notes
When these relays are not energized, their contacts are positioned connecting the brake light circuits
Wiring
The Sequential Main Turn Signal Relays have two connectors, Connector PJ75 and PJ6
The table below summarizes the circuits for the Sequential Main Relay PJ75 Connector. Note that this table assumes that the TSSW is in the Center position and the HZWSW is OFF unless otherwise noted.

Circuit #ColorI/OVoltageDescription
440WhiteIOn – LeftK9 Coil Powered when TSSW Left or HZWSW ON
On – HZWSW ON
445Orange-BlueOOn - RightPower to Right Inner Taillight
On – HZWSW ON
442Green-OrangeOOn - LeftPower to Left Inner Taillight
On – HZWSW ON
443Green-RedOOn - LeftPower to Left Center Taillight
On – HZWSW ON
441AVioletIOn - RightK8 Coil Powered when TSW Right or HZWSW ON
On – HZWSW ON
447Orange-RedOOn - RightPower to Right Outer Taillight
On – HZWSW ON
444Green-BlackOOn - LeftPower to Left Outer Taillight
On – HZWSW ON
446Orange-WhiteOOn - RightPower to Right Center Taillight
On – HZWSW ON

Connector PJ76
The table below summarizes the circuits for the Sequential Main Relay PJ76 Connector. Note that this table assumes that the TSSW is in the Center position and the HZWSW is OFF unless otherwise noted.
Circuit #ColorI/OVoltageDescription
436AYellowIOn - LeftPower for Inner Taillight from SQM to K10
On - Right
475Green-WhiteIOn – When Brakes appliedPower to Brake lights for all taillights
438AYellow-BlackIOn - LeftPower for Outer Taillights from SQM to K10
On - Right
437Yellow-RedIOn - LeftPower for Center Taillights and Front turn signal lights from SQM
On - Right
On – HZWSW ON
448Green-WhiteOOn - RightPower to Front Right Turn Signal provided by 437
On – HZWSW ON
449White-BlueOOn - LeftPower to Front Left Turn Signal provided by 437
On – HZWSW ON

Indications
  • Bad contacts can cause any light to not illuminate or if corroded to be dim.
  • No left lights when TSW in Left mode
  • Left lights ON when TSW in Right mode
  • No right lights when TSW in Right mode
  • Right lights ON when TSW in Left mode
  • No brakes lights or some brake lights on left
  • No brakes lights or some brake lights on right
  • Emergency lights do not light on both sides
  • Emergency lights flashing on only one side
Testing

Relay off car
  • Test Continuity between #475 and all of the output taillight circuits #442,443,444,445,446 and 447 (This checks only the brake light contacts as they are NC)
  • Place 12V on K9 relay #440 and common ground. Check the following for continuity
  • #438A to #444
  • #437 to #443
  • #436A to #442
  • #437 to #449 (may go to 448 as the diagrams are contradictory)
  • Place 12V on K8 relay #441A and common ground. Check the following for continuity
  • #438A to #447
  • #437 to #446
  • #436A to #445
  • #437 to #448 (may go to 449 as the diagrams are contradictory)
Relay on Car
  • Requires all of the other relays to be in working order. If SQM Motor is suspect, disconnect SQM at P77, turn on turn signal or flashers and put 12V wiretap onto #436, #437 and #438 and check for voltage at the lights (see above testing with relay off of car)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Does anyone know the procedure to "bench" test the 1968 turn signal relay (K-8/9) in the trunk?

I have a handful of '67s & '68s. I can plug & play (Or not play...) '67 versions in my own car. But without a '68 I'm left to find an alternative.

Thanks in advance!
Brian
The relay functions are exactly the same between the C7WY-13A366-B (1967) and the C8SZ-13A366-A (1968) relays.
One test method is to use 15 alligator lead pairs to connect matching wire colors on the harness to the relay.
Or I have '67 relay and '68 harness pigtails available that can be connected together to create a jumper harness.

Note: There are four versions of the 1968 relays - three were only used on Thunderbirds and are NOT wired the same.
When used on a Cougar, the result will be center lights swapped for the outer or from side-to-side, it varies for each relay.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry, most of this information is specific to a 1967 or 1968 Cougar.
The only thing that is common is the wire-stripe colors that feed the front and rear light bulbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts