Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 68 I was able to get all running lights functioning normally, however, the front and rear turn signals are jacked up. When I hit the left signal, absolutely nothing happens. When I hit the right signal, both front and rear light illuminate but don't blink. Any suggestions on the culprit? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: I tapped the sequencer a few times and the passenger side signal now functions normally front and rear. As for the driver side, nothing happens at all when I hit the lever.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does your sequential motor go on when you do the drivers side? also see if your flashers work ...just the middle lights should flash not all 6!! I had a heck of a time tracking down issues ...most problems have been in the turn signal switch I found out .....you will need a manual or help with diagrhm ..west coast cougar I think might have a free down load...I got help from coach jack with mine...very nice guy...good luck!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
First the good news, since your right signals work (well sort of), this indicates that your K7 relay (Turn signal indicator relay), sequential motor and K10 relay (Emergency warning relay) are working. I recommend that you clean up the connections on your sequential motor as you said it works in left mode after you tapped it.

When you activate the left turn signal, the switch will pass power down to the K7 relay on circuit #458 AND to the sequential Turn signal relay on circuit # 440. If you do not have power on either of these two circuits when in left mode, then the left lights will not work. (By the way, I am assuming that you have already checked your left bulbs, left sockets and cleaned all of the grounds)

The K7 relay subsequently provides power to the sequential motor (SQM) which in turn provides power to the Emergency Warning relay and then to the sequential turn signal relay. The only difference between left and right mode is that the turn signal switch provides the power to circuit #458 internally by circuit #5 for a right turn, likewise, the turn signal switch provides power to the circuit #458B internally by circuit #9 for a left turn. (Note circuits #458 and #458B are tied together on the vehicle harness side). This power is used to light the inner, center and outer taillights! This is then fed into the K10 relay where it passes the inner and outer power to the Sequential relay if the hazard switch is off, if the hazard switch is on, it breaks the connection for the inner and outer taillights (thus only the center lights flash in hazard mode!)

Note the previous did not say left inner center and outer nor right inner center and outer. The left and right circuits are controlled by the Sequential Turn Signal Relay. Circuit #440 enables the relay to route the power provided from the SQM to the left taillights and likewise circuit #441 to the right taillights.

Even though there are subtle differences between the 67 sequentials and the 68s, most of my writeup for the 67s still pertains to the 68s. You can download it here:
http://classiccougarcommunity.com/w..._Turn_Signal_System_Troubleshooting_Guide.pdf

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Coach Jack

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had same problem I found that each side wiring on the rear has a need for ground maybe that will be an easy check. I bought an extra sequencer thinking the box was my problem now I have a good back up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts