Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend needs to stop asking me to research all this information for him. How long can I act that I am that good with researching things.

Now I need to find out how to lower the back side of the Cougar. When we but the shocks and all the rear suspension the back was pretty high. I dont want my rear end always up in the air. Please help. What do I have to look up to find out about dropping the back.

I hope he does not find out that I am cheating. :evil:

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
No worries. We'd rather talk to you anyway.

There are various "lowering block" kits available. I've seen them range from 1/2" to 2 and 1/2" inch in 1/2" increments.

Basically it is a rectangular block that mounts between the spring and the axle housing. They raise up the rearend housing on the leaf springs which lowers the car.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
It is pretty rare that someone complains that the rear of their 67/68 cougar is sitting too high with stock suspension. Is your suspension stock?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, if she is going to leave her computer open and logged in, it makes it too easy to get caught. At any rate the front suspension is new, remanufactured OEM part with the following exceptions:

Arning/Shelby Drop
Varishock coilover shocks installed on OEM upper control arms, with a 1" offset (lower)
Larger Front sway bar

The rear suspension is all new OEM parts, with Bilstein shocks

The issue is that the front tires have about 1" of space between the tire and fender, and the rear tires leave about a 3 to 3.5 inch gap between rubber and sheet metal.

We have installed 17 x 8 Torque Thrust Ms on all four corners, with BF Goodrich 235/45 ZR 17 meat.

This will be a daily driver, so we don't want to slam it to the ground, but we do want to level it out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn you can never trust anyone these days. Next time I know better than to leave anything out. I tried to download a picture of the cougar with my pretty wheels but explorer keeps kicking me out. What am I doing wrong.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
In regards to sending pictures, Have you used Photobucket.com yet? Once you have uploaded your photos on there site, don't click on the picture, just pass your cursor over the picture you want and a window will open. Click on the last window at the bottom that is an image code and then past it here in your message. Just make sure you leave a couple spaces between the message and the picture codes.

There should be a spacer that is present now on the rear end. One will be tapered (you want to keep that one) and possibly another that is with it. If there is a small spacer, measure it and add two inches to that. I would say that would be the size of spacer your going to need to get the car down to where you want it. your also going to need new "U" bolts as well.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
dbebe what is the backspacing on the wheels?

·
Registered
39 Posts
depending on how many leafs you have in the springs, you could remove one of the short leafs, or put a lowering block between axle tube and mount bracket. Did you put on gas or hydraulic shocks? New springs also need a couple thousand miles to settle.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
dbebe I read this again and see where you have new OEM springs. Those will settle nearly 1 to 2 inches once you drive it a bit. I ran into the same thing on mine. It looks like I have air shocks with 100PSI on the dang thing. I have not driven mine since the install to get any settling. I am switching to Maier racing springs once I get the thing back from paint anyway so that will solve my problem.

PS mine sits like that with one inch drop spacer!! I cannot get the rear sway bar hooked up because of this!

·
Registered
283 Posts
me personally I hate lowering blocks. Im actually taking my new set of leaf springs to a local suspension guy in oakland and hes going to re-arch my springs to my liking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts