Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 1968 Cougar that is listed as a California Special with J code 302 Engine for $6500. From all the pictures i have gotten it appears to be in pretty good shape except for a bit of damage to a quarter panel. Unfortunately i dont know much about Cougars so what can any one tell me about this car. Was there anything special with the California Specials? I know the J code 302 is the 4bbl, and that it currently has a 600cfm edelbrock carb installed, other than that it is stock. Thanks for any help

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
The only thing special about it is that there weren't any California Special Cougars. There have been a number of sightings of Cougars with Mustang California Special badges added by someone other than the factory

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Welcome Syn,

I hope you enjoy your Cougar experience. Leon is steering you straight in that there was no such beast as a California Special cougar. People confuse Cougars and Mustangs sometimes and as Leon said, what badging some owner decides to purchase and put on his car is up to him :)

Just a heads up from me though, $6500 seems a little steep for a 68 small block car with body damage.. Depends on alot of things liek how extensive the damage is, what has been done to the motor, is it documented, has anyone checked out the frame and underside for rust for you? Although sellers aren't all blateantly trying to screw people, "Rust Free" descriptions are often taking a lot of "poetic license". I bought a "pristine, rust free" 70 convertable out of california 2 years ago that showed up with road signs welded into the floors and a majority of the inner rockers completely missing on both sides of the car. Looked immaculate on the outside :) Caveat emptour (or however it be spelt ;) )

Why don't you add your location to your profile here so Cougar folks in your area might be able to help steer you towards a nice car.

Best o luck in your search :)

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Post what city the car is in and maybe someone here would be willing to check it out for you for the cost of gas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, I kinds figured the same thing about not being a such thing as california special. Hopefully Ill drive up this weekend to see it, bout 45 minutes away. I added the pics i got of it so that might be able to help someone help me. Also thanks for the heads up about putting my location in profile, honestly never thought bout it. 5O15Y25W13m53o63pebag521b4d69dcbf1363.jpg 5O45Z35T53mc3p23o2bag6e1b5c3f63d215b6.jpg 5Y55O45X43ne3m63o4bagbd531c0eddd81b74.jpg 5Y65V15T33mc3o43l1bag3ec127574f101c0c.jpg

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Maybe the seller meant to say that it was a "California Car", meaning it was probably originally sold in the Golden State, and implying that it has no or minimal rust. IMHO the minute a "California Car" leaves this state, it no longer has that status.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I don´t know good enough to comment on the value of the car, but after seeing the pictures, the part about a damaged quarter is better now that i see it´s a front fender that is damaged, a front fender is much easier and cheaper to fix or get changed than if it had been a rear quarter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts