Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this valve on ebay today: item # 250538322435

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It is a 4 Way, 5 Port, 2 Position solenoid valve set up for 12VDC.

It has an "in" port, "a" port, "b" port, and 2 "exhaust" ports. Its normally used to accuate a dual action air cylinder, which is basically what the vacuum motors are on the car.

When the headlights are off, the vacuum "in" port is open to the "a" port which will get plumbed to the close side of the motor. The "b" port, which will be plumbed to the open side of the motor will be open to the correct "exhaust" which will be plumbed to a filter and open to atmosphere.

When the headlights are on, the solenoid will pull in, open the "in" signal to the "b" port and open the "a" signal to the other "exhaust" which is plumbed to the same filter open to atmosphere.

It has built in status LED lights, a manual override, and shoudl draw less than 1 amp when engaged.

I have used similar valves at work, and it should all work in theory. I get home in 2 to 3 weeks from offshore and will see how it goes and post the update here.
It was $36 with shipping, so I am not out too much if it doesn't work as planned.

The only drawback is they are supposed to be in a control cabinet out of the elements, so I have to come up with some sort of enclosure for it.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Picture added for clarity. And I realized I can't spell actuate correctly.......

1 - 2 of 2 Posts