Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there have bland new trunk pans for the 72 XR-7? My trunk pan looks like swiss cheese!

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Nope, they don't exist. If we had Mustangs, the answer would be yes, but Cougars -- no!

The trunk floor drop-offs are supposedly available, but they are just generics and need to be trimmed to the right shape.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'll ask for her: What's a "drop-off?"

PS to Judy: Nothing is bland in a 72 Cougar!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ken's cougars has trunk pans. They run about $150.00 I think that Auto Krafters may carry them also, but I'm not positive!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oooopps! Chas-I meant brand, not bland! Yeah, and what is a drop off? Now, I can't find my catalogs!!:(

·
Registered
175 Posts
My guess is that Cougrrcj is talking about the vertical walls on each side of the trunk where it meets the quarter panels. They're right behing the wheel wells and are notorious for rotting. Also, they're great for storing little things.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The answer is that an exact reproduction I have not seen but the one that KENS COUGARS sells fits Its not exact in that it doesn't have all the right ribs or holes as my old 73 floor did but it will work. If you would like a photo just let me know.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
drop offs...

Sounds like I need those too.
I can see through the trunk pan and I see the gas tank in places. I have a new gas tank waiting to put on and Rick (dark7068) suggested I replace the trunk pan first, instead of after I put in the new gas tank. What do you all think?:)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well I would agree with dark on this replace the floor pan first with the gas tanked removed and make it all alot easier than doing the gas tank then having to pull it later to do the floor.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Oh yeah, definitely do the trunk pan with the tank out! There's a little bit too much welding too close to the tank. I mean, it can be done, but with the tank out, you've got a LOT less prep work to do...not to mention the danger factor is really reduced!

POW!:eek2: didn't know my kitty could fly that high!

:D

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought that would be a good idea too. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts