Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to remove my trunk lock and latching mechanism. I see that the trunk lock cylinder extension is being held in by a spring keeping the latch in and getting in the way of the second bolt holding the trunk lock cover on, I've tried getting a screw driver in there and had no luck getting the spring off. Any tricks that I may not be aware of to get it out. Also the key to this lock is missing...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Youve got to unbolt the 2 nuts which is hard....sucks bad really. Pull the whole assembly out and get a new 1. If you want to keep that 1 wccc can make a key with the numbers off the cylinder. Very nice keys too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Def go through the hole on the other side of trunk. I used a ratchet with extension and swivel elbow. It was very slow and a weak moment in which i pondered the net worth of my cougar lol.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
When I take one of these apart I remove the 3 bolts holding the latch in place first. Doing this will not allow you to remove the latch but it will allow you to spin it some left and right. By spinning the latch I can gain enough room to have close to a straight shot at the second nut holding the lock assembly in place. Be careful once you get the 2 nuts off as there are special spacers on the lock assembly studs, you will need them when you put the lock assembly back into the car. These spacers are just slid over the studs and they will come off when you remove the lock assembly.

Do not try to remove that spring. Even if you do manage to remove it that will not gain you anything. And most likely it will cause you more problems if you do get it off. The rod that goes from the lock assembly to the latch has a notched end at the lock that hooks into place. With the other end of the rod still in the latch you will not be able to unhook it. The lock assembly back side is made of pot metal and if you keep prying on it to remove the spring you are very likely to break it.

Once you have the lock assembly removed from the car you should be able to take it to a local locksmith for a key. If you decide to purchase a replacement lock cylinder be very sure that you purchase the correct cylinder. A lot of vendors out there think that the cylinder is the same as the later Cougars, it is not.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

1 - 5 of 5 Posts