Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, im considering replacing a trunk in a project 68 cougar
are there spotwelds between the rear frame rails and trunk floor?
im looking and not seeing anything, thought maybe im missing something
thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Yes, there are spot welds, plenty of them. I usually take a wire wheel in a cordless drill and wheel in the area I think they are. Sure enough, small divots will appear before your eyes! Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
389 Posts
i felt sure there were too...i havent looked at mine just yet, im working on the floors and such before i go to its asss end....

but to the OP i googled a while back trunk floor replacement in 68 mustang and got a few articles with step by step stuff showing where the spot welds were and they are very similar.....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks like always!
i started wirewheeling and am seeing them, way smaller and neater than i was expecting
Barney, if you have a link to those article with the placements that would be great!

I just got a catologue from AUTOBODYTOOLMART.COM
new to me but maybe not to some others, seem to have lots of great stuff, like a candy store
i was thinking of the p/n 1304, or 1305 spot weld drills (the ones with a tiny center and flat bottom), lifetime sharpening/replacement guarantee seems like a good deal to me- I'm thinking of this style versus the "holesaw" style so as not to be drilling holes through both, just the one panel, then use the hole to weld the new panels back in from underneath what's your opinion?
thanks again!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, I should have asked this also, if buying one drill size if possible, whats big enough to get the weld for the most part so its seperatable?
thanks

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
If memory serves, 3/8" is the size to get for the welds you'll encounter in our cars. I prefer the hole saw type of bit, less chance of blowing through both sides and the bits are both two sided and cheaper than replacing a complete bit such as the type you are suggesting. The pilot hole from using my cutter of choice does not cause a problem and can in most cases be welded up as part of the rosette welding process. My $.02 (which comes from considerable experience).

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I agree with Bob on the Spot weld cutter. Go with the hole saw type. They work faster and easier.
Whatever you use, just remember to put a little oil on the cutting head from time to time and they will cut faster with less wear.

I have bought a few things from Autobodytoolmart.com and my orders got here fast and they were correct. Great customer service so far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks to all posts for guidance. the trunk floor is my next step. When you find the spot weld you can mark a center point with a small dia. bit and follow with a larger usually @ 3/8 and drill through the top layer first use oil and any angle old drill bit sharpened w/ DrillDoctor or similar

1 - 9 of 9 Posts