Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I finish up with the front floorboards I am researching the next project on my '69 Convertible. Next stop: Trunk!

The left side of the floor in the Trunk has a fair amount of rust holes. Has anyone used a Mustang part in this area? They make a concourse part that looks very similar to what is in the Cougar now. I would appreciate any feedback, so that I don't end up ordering a part which doesn't fit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Do not waste your money on Mustang trunk floors. I purchased a pair because the add said "Will fit cougar with some modification". Well if some means hack them up until they are scrap, then yes. Johns Cougars sells Cougar trunk floors, more money, but they are Cougar. I havent used them but somebody must have some experience with them

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I patched my trunks floors and unless your rot is really bad, you may want to consider doing the same. Was a lot less work than doing a full changeout. See my ECI thread (sort by views in tech section) for plenty of detail on these repairs. They were done after the quarters as I recall (you will have to search a bit). Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
389 Posts
we are going to just patch mine too...the left side is the worst but its really only a small section so we will just cut it out and go that route. its not a concourse resto and im probally going to have linex color matched bedliner sprayed in the trunk to make it look good and to keep it nice when i actually carry stuff in there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is just really pitted around the drain hole as well as a few smaller holes here and there. Ideally I'd like to cut out a chunk and replace with a good piece of sheet metal that has the same pressing as the original.

Here's a pic..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do not waste your money on Mustang trunk floors. I purchased a pair because the add said "Will fit cougar with some modification". Well if some means hack them up until they are scrap, then yes. Johns Cougars sells Cougar trunk floors, more money, but they are Cougar. I havent used them but somebody must have some experience with them
I saw those on his site, but can't justify the price w/ shipping that I would have to pay just to get a chunk of sheet metal.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would just cut a square out of the floor and replace it with sheet metal. You can bend it easy and make it fit. that area is attached to the frame so be careful not to cut into the frame if you can help it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
mine has more than one drain hole. they are kinda sloppy shaped too. if you push on it with a finger in some places, u can create new drain holes. :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
You are lucky if that's all the trunk rust you have. I've dealt with the spring through the trunk floor rust.
I would acid prep the metal and body solder the holes. Use a file and sandpaper to finish. You should take the gas tank out and attend to that hole too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I think I will just cut out that square and replace it, and patch or fill the other bad spots. The funny thing is that the other side is perfect..I guess I am just just to being able to get most anything for my Fastback. :D

The floorboards on this car were wasted, so I'm happy to see that the trunk isn't too bad.

Here's how the floorboards looked:

other side after:

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Yeah I think I will just cut out that square and replace it, and patch or fill the other bad spots. The funny thing is that the other side is perfect..I guess I am just just to being able to get most anything for my Fastback. :D

The floorboards on this car were wasted, so I'm happy to see that the trunk isn't too bad.

Here's how the floorboards looked:

other side after:

Nice work, fellow ECI! Regarding the trunk repairs, after having seen the picture, I would reiterate my suggestion to fix what is there rather than tear the whole thing out. Here are pictures of my work in these areas: http://www.montess.net/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=26751

·
Registered
205 Posts
gee

when they repaced my 70 trunk there are no drain holes, bought from jcc i figured they don't do much anyways considering i am not planning of driving in a lake and they are a bit high leaving lots of room for plenty of water, live and learn.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Actually, the holes in the trunk floors (there's actually a total of 8 on the car, 4 on each side) are mounting holes for when the cars were on the rack while going down the assembly line. There's suppose to be a rubber grommet installed on the trunk floor. I have the same rust problem on my trunk floors. John

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine still had the rubber grommets in, I just popped em out to see what was around them. I'll post a pic when I get this taken care of.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I may have a good section from a parts car if you want to repair the area like 1969xr7vert suggests
if interested i will check next time im at work and see if it would cover the area you need
if so i can cut it out rough, larger than the area and ship to you (you pay shipping)
i'm into a similar project now and have a couple potential trunks i have yet to expose
let me know

btw-your new and improved floorboards look nice and solid now, lucky the tunnel looks nice and solid

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We ended up making both sides rather than trying to fit some repro part in. The hardest part was getting that round profile on the tank side to look right. Here's one of the panels we made before welding:

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
sorry if this comes through twice but- what is the red primer your using- dugh , is it a weld through primer?
what brand
thanks
Nope, that is $0.99 Walmart rattle can red oxide! But, I certainly think using weld-thru primier is fine and even recommended. Unfortunately, the stuff has a shelf life. I bought two cans and when I went to use it the zinc had separated out of solution. No amount of shaking stopped it from immediately clogging the spray nozzle when sprayed. Live and learn. So if you buy some, be sure to use it in a timely fashion and/or shake the can regularly when it sits on the shelf!

Oh and nice work on the patch piece Andy!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i had a similar rust problem on the one side of our 67----the culpret was a poorly spotwelded wheel well seam on the drivers side---the moisture came thpub the seam in the center of the wheel well a water logged the matting under the trunk mat---make sure you seam seal the wheel well from the tire side
doctordesoto

1 - 20 of 20 Posts