Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my cat didn't have a carpet or anything in the trunk, other than a beat up spare, a box with some rusted bolts in it, and loads of grease, I'm getting off topic ;) ... ok, so no carpet, lol.

Can anyone tell me what was the original look of the trunk?

Carpet? Cut pile? Loop? Was it plaid like I've seen in some catalog? Was it even carpeting? Also, if anyone has a pic of the layout (ie. where the spare went, jack, etc.) that would help a lot. Thanks.

Sly

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well, on my '69 XR7 it is just a (plastic?) plaid mat...I know that doesn't help you, but...yeah...just sharing:D

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
SLY,
what is actually supposed to be in your trunk is a rubber plaid trunk mat.It covers the trunk floor and extends into the trunk drop odd area.There are reporoducations out now by a few vendors.
hope this helps out cause my 70 had the rubber plain mat, unfortanetly it was ripped and decided to replace it with a repo.ttyl
pat
1970 standard triple white convertible
1970 competition gold eliminator

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Trunk mat

This is what it looks like. This is my 70 XR7, and is most likly a original by the overall condition of the mat. It shows whare and has some rips in it, butt overall is not to bad. Neal.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Just wanna clear up this,
meant to say off not odd in my last message.2nd Neal that mat looks like its in better shape then the one i had.
thanks
pat
1970 standard triple white convertible
1970 competition gold eliminator

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Droptopcat70,
This is one of the nicest mats I have found in any Cougar I have had. May still get a new one some time soon.
I also have a black in door/out door carpet one I made for badcatt. I just set the carpet down upside down, Placed the old original upside down on ti. Marked it out and cut the carpet. This way you couls do a simple custom look to your trunk. Neal.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Neal,
looks good to me, now isnt there supposed to be a jack bag and a spare tire cover for all cars that has a trunkmat?Unfortanetly mine was never there when i got the car and dont know if its worth getting one. What do ya think?
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Pat,
I have no idea if the tire cover and jack bag are OR or optional. I think optional as in test drive articals I have the tire does not have a cover. Neal.

P.S. the space saver I have is not original to the car, and did not make the trip to nationals with me.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Sly,

I got an NOS mat last year from one of the vendors, probably Mustangs Unlimited. You may also need the side filler boards and the cardboard tail light protectors. I also got a plaid tire cover and a small tool bag, but they were never original to the car. Also the color is off noticeably, to me at least LOL, the NOS is slightly yellowed from age. But they will probably match the repro mat.

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://hometown.aol.com/timbrands/Cougar.html

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With the current state of disrepair that my trunk is right now, I'm sure you're right. I'm gonna need the filler boards and probably a whole lot more.

This cat hasn't seems a street in almost 15 years. The guy that had it before had it completely greased up and left it in some barn. The inside of the trunk is coated in something like half an inch of grease everywhere. That's why I'm dying to get some decent mat in there.

Sly

1 - 11 of 11 Posts