Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having difficulty installing a distributor on my 289 because the hex hole at the end of the distributor shaft and the hex head of the oil pump shaft don't seem to want to line up. The oil pump shaft end doesn't stay centered (i can center it with a "poker," but then it falls to the side before I seat the distributor). Does anyone know of any "tricks" to make this easier?

Thanks,

·
Registered
123 Posts
The dist will center the hex on the shaft. your problem is that the hex on the shaft is out of phase with the end of the dist. Just turn the shaft a bit and it will eventually slide in. It may take a few tries.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Try this, hopefully it works for you. Get #1 at TDC. (remove #1 plug, disable coil wire, crank engine over by the starter sol. and put finger over plug hole, when you feel air, check your balancer, it should be near TDC on the timing mark, if not, move to 0 TDC. Install dist. with the rotor pointing to where #1 wire will be on dist. cap (easier to mark body of dist with chalk or marker for reference). It should just slide right in.

Rick

·
Registered
175 Posts
It may not just slide right in

I've been thru this a number of times. I use an old distributor shaft.. If you can get an old distributor, take the shaft out of it and use it as a wrench to turn the oil pump shaft in small increments until the dist. slides in. Also you can use the shaft and a drill to prime the pump if for some reason you've had the bottom end opened up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts