Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks - longtime owner of 69 XR-7 convertible A/T 351W, (pushing 40 years). Most days a trouble-free ride, very original, very stock limited miles with the necessary maintenance. A real summer beauty too: Wimbledon white on ivy gold leather.

Out for a ride the other day, noticed idle bogging down when foot is off gas and slowing down to near stop. Idle also seems to be uneven. Does not seem brake related as same problem both with or without braking. Checked out vacuum connections, brake booster, swapped all distributor cap, rotor, points. Newer spark plugs less than 2,000 miles, good wires. Carb is Autolite 2100 and rebuilt several times. Doesn't seem to be a fuel related problem, at least that's my guess. To get around the issue I have set the idle speed higher in order to use the car for short drives, but it's a worry that she'll conk out on the road somewhere. Four years back I put in a new set of gears and double roller timing chain. That work smoothed out the engine substantially and it's been trouble-free since then.

Many moons ago I owned a 1970 that was a daily driver. Eventually the distributor wore out and needed to be replaced, so I'm wondering about that.

If folks here could lead me down the right path I'd be grateful for your suggestions.
Scott

·
Contributing Member
1,946 Posts
Hi folks - longtime owner of 69 XR-7 convertible A/T 351W, (pushing 40 years). Most days a trouble-free ride, very original, very stock limited miles with the necessary maintenance. A real summer beauty too: Wimbledon white on ivy gold leather.

Out for a ride the other day, noticed idle bogging down when foot is off gas and slowing down to near stop. Idle also seems to be uneven. Does not seem brake related as same problem both with or without braking. Checked out vacuum connections, brake booster, swapped all distributor cap, rotor, points. Newer spark plugs less than 2,000 miles, good wires. Carb is Autolite 2100 and rebuilt several times. Doesn't seem to be a fuel related problem, at least that's my guess. To get around the issue I have set the idle speed higher in order to use the car for short drives, but it's a worry that she'll conk out on the road somewhere. Four years back I put in a new set of gears and double roller timing chain. That work smoothed out the engine substantially and it's been trouble-free since then.

Many moons ago I owned a 1970 that was a daily driver. Eventually the distributor wore out and needed to be replaced, so I'm wondering about that.

If folks here could lead me down the right path I'd be grateful for your suggestions.
Scott
Have you replaced the fuel filter? It wasn't on your list. If it's the one that screws into the carb, remove it, let it dry out, then give it a few taps on a table and watch all the debris that falls out.

Cylinder Nickel Metal Auto part Titanium

1 - 3 of 3 Posts