Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the 1969 L-M Cougar Sales Brochure, there is a 2 page spread dedicated to the 428 Cobra Jet Cougar. It shows a Cardinal Red, Std Cougar with the 428 CJ located at a dragstrip, parked with 2 old school dragsters along with a blonde model.

1) What is the name of that dragstrip?

2) Where was it located?

3) What is located at that same location today?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
The Bee Line Dragway just off Highway 87 in the middle of the Pima Maricopa Indian reservation, about 6 miles from my house in Fountain Hills, AZ. The timing tower is still there, but the rest is gone.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I was always amused by that picture because the model's leg looks like it's broken at a weird angle. I know it is because of the folding crease down the center of the page, but I've never seen that girl with a straight leg....

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
4) who is the model?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I've seen that picture a thousand times, and didn't realize it was Beeline Dragway. I went there once when I was a kid, but the only thing I can remember about it was the cars were loud!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
4) She has aged some... View attachment 24732
Yes she has, it's amazing what that desert southwest sun can do to 'leather' over the years. But you have to give her credit for trying, wearing that bikini and all.

3) As I was landing into the Phoenix airport last Sunday, I was able to see the remains of the old Beeline Dragway from the airplane window. It's located northeast of PHX and I could see the old timing tower and what is left of the old blacktop lanes. Kind of cool to see that from the air.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I was going to say Twin Pines Mall in Hill Valley??? ............ok sorry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts