Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, took my first trip of the year to the drag strip with the cougar. Heck, the first trip to the strip with the cougar ever since I built it. (I was waiting on getting a real man's axle, no one wheel wonders for me. :D)

We had 3 Cougars and a Cyclone with us from our club. A red 67 with a 514 crate motor that runs 11 flats all day long, a red 70 Eliminator with a stroked out windsor that runs 11.3's on the bottle, a Crazy lookin' Cyclone with a 429SCJ that runs 13 flats all day.

Then there's me. :)

I ran a best of 14.22 at 95mph, .514 light, 2.09 60 foot... Not bad considering it still has untouched stock heads on it.

Then one of my buddies offered to sell me his complete Aussie Clevor setup that he's decided not to use... He's already got everything including headers, heads, stud girdle valve covers, gaskets and intake... wooohoooo... I'm about to be a badass with 2.19 intake valves.... That'll fix that wheezing above 5500... :)

I'm going to try and get it all put together by the end of the summer.

All in all it was a great time. You'd think I would've taken some friggin' pictures eh? Doh.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
An Auzzie Cleavor should run pretty good. I take it your not much on the Eldebrock heads then. Which ones are you using now? The 2.02's ? What Intake comes with the cleavor set up? I know B-A used to make a street boss and a track boss but thought they were both setup for 4V intake ports. Maybe the street boss was for 2V's?? I dont know how much the cleavor is going to run you, but everybody raves over the AFR heads for around $1200 pretty much run right out of the box. mm

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Logan, good times for a 351W. You are running headers, yes? What kind of rear gears and what trans/converter?

At our local track (Norwalk, OH) there are several 351W-powered cars. One 69 Mustang does 13.3s with his stock heads. I won't even get into all of the Fox Mustangs out there....

My ~stock BetaCat will run [email protected] all day through the factory dual exhaust including 4V exhaust manifolds. Of course, it does have the factory high stall 'Q'-code Cleveland 10.25" torque converter and a set of 3.70 rear gears....

I'd have to ditto MM's concern about going with a Clevor. Most of the better aftermarket heads for a Windsor will outflow even a set of 4V Cleveland heads on the exhaust side. I know it is hard to believe, but the numbers don't lie!

My buddy has a set of Motorsport aluminum heads on his 347-inch stroker motor in his Pinto wagon. Without giggle gas it will lift the front wheels a foot and run 11s. On the juice it picks up the front so high that the back of the car hits the ground. Lots of power to be had out of those Windsors!

I put together a healthy 351W/5.8 for a local PD in their D.A.R.E. car a few years back. I started with a 94 Lightning motor with all of the GT40 goodies but went with a set of Twisted Wedge heads, shorty headers, hi-flow catalysts and a big tube exhaust. This engine was still EFI, but also bolted on a 8psi centrifrugal supercharger. How 'bout an 88 Crown Vic turning a [email protected] with the light bar still on the car? Hmmmm that'd give your new Lightning a run for its money, eh? Heck, that's a full second faster than my AlphaCat ever did with its 4V Cleveland!

My advice to you is to stick with the aftermarket Windsor heads if you feel the need to change yours.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Right now, I've got the cast iron, original, untouched (well, new seals, valves & valveseats) 69 windsor heads.

My plan was to slap a set of Edelbrock RPM heads on this month... $1300 w/gaskets...

But then, this clevor setup is coming to my hands for quite a bit less than half that. Otherwise, I'd of probably passed on it. I haven't seen the intake yet, but once I get the setup home, I'll take some pics and post em up.

I could do some work to the stock heads and that'd certainly take care of the flow and get it down into the 13's with no problems. But then, if I'm gonna pop the heads off, the stockers are going bye-bye.

Right now, the car has Hooker Comps, X pipe, flowmasters. Edelbrock RPM intake & cam. Stock heads. 750cfm Edelbrock 1407. Convertor is 900rpm above stock in my FMX. Gears are 3.50 traction lock.

All things considered, the car is also a show car and sees fairly little drag strip duty. So, putting the clevor together will also give it a much needed "Neat-O" factor at car shows which is probably the primary reason for doing it. Of course, giving it the foundation to slip into the twelves won't hurt any either.

·
Registered
216 Posts
At least you cut a good light!! I'm doing my homework now for cylinder heads too. I'm waffling between the AFR 185cc runner units and the cast iron Windsor Sr.'s. The low end torque really suffers with those BIG Cleveland runners, I could lay my hands on some 302 BOSS heads and I'm laying off. I don't want to be over 5000 on the ticker to make torque with my little 302! I may port my heads first, too. Decisions, decisions!

Ron.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Whew Logan you through me off!! I thought before you said that you had the full Eldebrock package and I thought that was heads also. I was trying to figure out a nice way to tell you how going Cleavor in my opinion would be taking a step backwards.

I was trying to fugure out how the Eldebrock heads were giving out at 5500.

The only thing I think about the aussie heads on the windsor is I hate Cleavlands in the engine bay, too tight for me, hell the FE's are easier to change plugs on then them and with the windsors higher deck height it only gets worse. Also I'm still trying to figure out which intake works with the 2v intake ports with that setup.

Ron the AFR 185's maybe a little much on a 302, depending what you plan to do with them. Thats why they make the 165's (I think) The Windsor SR's are great in my book, much cheaper and I like the cast iron durability. They wont flow like the 185's out of the box, but have all the room to do so if you want to port them. The only thing is if your paying to have them ported you might as well buy the 185's. But just a clean up on them maybe allright for your 302 otherwise remember the windsor JR's are really the 302 heads. Just depends on YOUR plans for the motor. mm

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mark,

My 302 is already set up such that the heads are the big "limiter". Comp cams 294, 0.560/0.560 lift, single plane edelbrock torquer intake, 780 CFM holley, 10:1 compression. You really think the 185 cc runners in the AFR's are too big?? I know the motor is a 302, but that sure is a lot of cam...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yeah Ron I do think the 185's are a little much. Its still a 302. The cam is alot for a street cam but not really a BIG cam, I ran .605 on a "solid" lifter cam. It really needs more than 10-1 if you went with the bigger heads, and you dont want that for the street. The 185's might work ok for a drag race 302 with even more cam and compression and a 7500 rpm redline with the single plane.

I think you would be happier with a set of 165's or some lighty ported and cleaned up windsor jrs or some stock sr's. Bigger is not always better.

I'm just giving my opinions and stress I am not a street and strip expert. You may take them with a grain of salt. mm

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Re; Trip to the strip

I always thought the Aussie heads were popular for building Bogus Boss motors... Seems like by the time you "wet decked" the Aussie heads, installed the bigger 4V single groove valves, valve job, hard exhaust seats, springs, keepers, retainers, you could buy a nice pair of alloy aftermarket heads that would probably make the car faster "out of the box" than the modified Aussie heads...

Oh yea, my 68 Coog ran a 12:71 ET last Saturday at Tulsa International Raceway....8:19 1/8mi. Too bad I redlighted

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I saw a Clevor intake for sale at the Carlisle All-Ford Nats. They wanted about $500 for the intake. In my opinion, even if you are getting a deal, go with the Edelborck package. I'm a Cleveland lover, but building a Clevor is asking for trouble. The Edelbrock package will flow much better.

As for changing spark plugs, I'd have to argue. Changing plugs on a CJ428 is a *itch! With headers (meaning the lift hooks from the stock exhaust manifolds are gone), changing plugs in my 351C only takes about 20 minutes.

Clevors were a great idea 20 years ago when there was no aftermarket for Windsors, but today there is so much better / modern technology in head design.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Jim thats ok, I had to laugh at a guy one time when he got so pissed off trying to change the plugs in a 351 C mustang that he got out a hole saw and made some modifications to the fender aprons. Fixed his problem but looked like hell. By the way the guy was not me!! mm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts