Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and gals,
Can someone decode the follwing trim info for my 71
65D-D-3A-6-U-84. I just got the title transfered today. I hated to get rid of the original 71 title but had no choice. I did make a copy though! Thanks for all the help everyone has given me. I'll be posting pics of the car as soon as I can get the film developed and scanned.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
The Vin would help, but based on what you've provided:

65D = Standard Hardtop (Body Style)
D = Bright Yellow (Paint)
3A = Black Vinyl and Black Cloth (Interior)
6 = 3.00 Non-Locking (Rear Axle)
U = JULY 2nd Year (Month of Manufacture)
84 = Home Office Reserve (DSO)

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Ummmm, Logan?

Unless they have changed the door tag categories, I believe the 'U' code belongs to the trans. U = C-6

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
err???? C-6??? what engine is in there?????? ?? ? envious people want to know lol

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Trans

Which is the best of the 3? I got FMX.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
C-4 is the light duty trans, FMX is medium duty, and C-6 is the heavy duty trans. not sure about the 71-73 models, but i thought it was only used behind the Big Block cars......... although i THINK some Clevelands got it 71-73

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well as to which is best I would say depends on what you want the car to do the fmx is a good tranny and I like my c-4 both of which can be built to withstand quite a bit of power.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trim Decoding

It's a 351C-2/V. I double checked the Vin and trin Code at CCOA and it's definately a C6. I'll verify that when I get it up on a lift. I told you I got this car from an elderly lady who was the original owner. She couldn't tell me much about the car other than she bought it in Seminole Florida ( she even kept the original Dealer Advertising plate on the fron of the car!) and she could no longer drive it.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
From what I have seen first hand you could have a C-4 bolted to Small blocks or Big Blocks, C-6s on 351C through 460, but I have only seen FMXs on 351s - both Windsor and Cleveland. Strange, because the very under rated FMX (built by Borg-Warner) was an excellent transmission.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
71-73 tranny choices

As far as I know, there was no C-4 available in the 71-73 Cougar line. Generally, the C-4 was only used behind 289/302s. The smallest engine available in the 71-73 was the 351C-2V.

Most of the 2Vs I've seen in 71-73 Mustangs or Cougars had FMX trannies, and generally the 4V Clevelands got the C-6. Of couse, the 71 429CJ cars got C-6s.

Manual trans? I've never seen a 71-73 with a stick, but I guess they might have made a couple! I've never personally seen a 71 429CJ Cougar, but my buddy almost bought one back in 75 but since it was an automatic he didn't want it. He bought a 73 Mach 1 351C-4V 4-spd instead. Go figure.

I have seen C-6s behind 351C-2Vs in other cars (Torinos) and FMXs behind 351C-4Vs in 70.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
you know, im not sure if it was someone off of the boards, but someone emaild me about a 71 with a 4 speed for sale. if you are interested i can give you their email and you can talk to them and see if they still wanna sell it. this was only like 2 weeks ago so i bet its still fair game.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
71 trans

The code definately is for a C6 but you never know. How can I easilyI tell the difference in the C6 and the FMX?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Crawl under there and look at it.
An FMX is in 3 pieces - bell housing, body, tail shaft. The middle section is iron(?) - it's not aluminum like the bell and tail.
A C6 is 2 pieces, both aluminum.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
trans

Cool! I never knew that!:D

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
C-6's were for sure put behind 351 W's. Although they were in trucks and vans. I had a 78? E-350 with a 351 w and c-6. Pulled the race car trailer very well. mm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts