Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again. I was just wondering about the feasibility of swapping a modern 5 speed into a 68 cougar that is currently an auto. The engine is a 302. I currently have a T-5 from a 93 Mustang GT. Would this transmission fit without hacking up the console? Also what would be the best source for the clutch pedal assembly, linkage, etc. I haven't seen any parts cars that were manual trans.

Damon Kirk

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Get yourself over to a mustangs unlimited catalog. They list trans and swap parts you need. mm

·
Registered
278 Posts
I am in the middle of doing this exact same swap myself. So that you know I live in Winnipeg Canada so parts are a little hard to find. To start you need a transmission, which you already have. You will also need a bellhousing and this is where things get tricky. If you have the original engine in the car you can use the mechanical clutch linkage. I don't know how this works or what is involved as I did not go that route. You will also need a bellhousing unless the trans already came with one. If you can get a late model bellhousing and clutch fork. Once you have this you will also need a flywheel that is balanced to your engine. I purchased a used 5.0 flywheel and had it machined to match the flexplate from my auto trans. ITwasnt cheap but still less than buying a new one and I was able to use a larger 10.5" clutch disc, pressure plate throwout bearing and pilot bearing from a 5.0 as well. You will also need to buy a swap crossmember and driveshat yoke, plus all the fasteners to put it together. Finally you will need a clutch brake pedal assembly from a 4 speed car from 67-68. I personally went with a hydraulic clutch conversion, from John's Mustangs, but Ron Morris makes cable clutch conversions as well(so does DB Performance Engineering but they are darned expensive). The conversion crossmember and driveshaft yoke I got from CJ Pony Parts. If you have any more questions email me as I am just waiting on the clutch pedal assembly and then it will be all finished. Also try searching on google under T-5 Trans swap. You'll find what you're looking for. Good Luck. And no you won't have to hack things up.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I helped a friend do this on a Mustang (same thing). His already had a clutch. This is one option.... If you have stock 68 clutch pedal assembly, crossbar and the push rods, Windsor-Fox had a bracket that let you use the 68s throw out fork (this next part I don't remember real clearly) use the clutch disc from the 93 and the clutch preasure plate from the 68. We used the bell housing from the 92 5.0 T5. It worked real well. The other thing needed was a special crossmember as the T5 is longer The best part is the T5 shifter comes up through the floor perfectly... NO hacking. We cut off the old orginal shift lever and welded it to the T5s shifter below the shift boot. When you looked in it looked stock. If you are interested in going this route get ahold of Windsor-Fox.
Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts