Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
First off, anyone interested in purchasing a t5. It's out of a 93 Mustang GT. I would also trade for AOD.

Which brings me to my second question. I have about decided to swap my c4 for an AOD so I can get better highway mileage...but still beat down the ricers. I'll need the torque conv and flexplate I know. Flexplate won't be a prob as my enine has the 50 oz imbalance. I plan on using the Lokar TV cable. Now what about the trans mount and the shifter? Will these need to be fabricated? And what else will I need?

·
Registered
86 Posts
To install and AOD, you need a custom crossmember, I recomend the Windsor-Fox. The Lokar KD2-AOD-HT kick-down cable (it's and absolute must). You may need a slip yoke for the AOD, the C-4 has the same spline and diameter, but it is a lot longer. I haven't yet replaced a C-4 with an AOD, only FMX's so far. I believe the C-4 is the same length as the AOD at 30 1/8", but a friend who recently put an AOD in place of his C-4 said he had to shorten the drive shaft. It is possible that he had gotten the long shaft AOD which is approximately 1 inch longer then the short AOD. You are correct about the needing a new flex plate since the C-4 has 157 tooth while the AOD requires a 164. Just don't get a C-6 flexplate, it has the wrong offset.
The shifter in your car will work just fine, except you need to have the correct lever on the AOD and it has to be pointing up. The lever closest to having the correct amount of throw is the E4ZZ lever, although it is slightly short ...in the sense that if you have the shifter lined up in PARK, then you shift the tranny to low, the shifter will be between 1 and 2. If you have a welder and can determine the correct distance for the hole to be drilled you can modify just about any AOD shift lever.
The trans mount is the same. You can use your engine block plate, but you may not be able to use your inspection cover--I preffer to leave it off for extra ventilation, unless the car is driven down a lot of dirt roads. You'll also need an AOD dipstick and tube, it is unique to the AOD.
With the AOD you can expect about an 30% increase in highway mpg's over the current rear gear ratio with a 3 speed. But it is always nice to have a little more leverage to get you going faster.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
How do you mount the TV cable to the carb linkage?
Do you have any pictures? I have seen a Moroso carb plate that may be the ticket. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i bought the Lokar AOD Kickdown recently still preparing for the swap. so some progress is being made on my end. im acutally being real patient with it, dont want to rush it at all. if you wind up doing it first, let me know how it goes. i am an information hog lol

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
I am really thinking about doing it now as my car looks like this and I don't ever think I will have the car this stripped down again.

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, I have the crossmember, mount, front yoke, and Lokar TV cable I'd be willing to sell as I decided not to do the conversion. I don't drive on the highway as much as I thought I would so I decided to keep the durability of the c4 over the AOD.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
How much?

I am interested

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, like I said, it's the crossmember (67-68), the shift rod (67-68), the front driveshaft yoke, the tv cable from Lokar, and the transmission mount. Also have the block plate and the inspection cover I'd throw in for free if you need em'. I have an AOD flexplate too, but it is the 50 oz. imballance variety so unless you are going with a late model 5.0 engine it's no good to you. I believe a flexplate for a late 351w with AOD is the correct imballance for the early motors (28.2 oz I think compared to 50 oz for the 5.0). All told I have almost 400 bucks in that stuff, so make me an offer, It's just collecting dust and taking up space so I'd be happy to get it to someone who could use it. I also have an 8 inch centersection open carrier with new 3.55 gears if you are interested I was going to use with it with the AOD because the 3.00 with the .67 od seemed like it may lug the engine unless I was rolling 80 or so on the interstate, though I may still use it with the c4 if we can ever do something in Iraq and gas comes back down to sane levels. I may have some other bits for the conversion, so if you need something, ask me and I might can throw it in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts