Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. i got another newbie question for you guys, i was wondering what type of transmission I have in my cougar. It is a '68 XR7 and it is a three speed automatic. Is my tranny a C-4 or what? thanks for any info you guys can tell me

ryan

·
Registered
175 Posts
If it's the original tranny, you can look at the data plate on the drivers door to find out. The last letter on the plate indicates the transmission.
U = C6
W= C4

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks wayne. I just checked it out and I have a c-4 tranny. My other question, are all c-4 trannies three speeds?

ryan

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
All non-overdrive Ford automatic transmissions are three speeds. There was a slightly modified C-4 back in the early 80s that had a lock-up torque converter that improved gas mileage somewhat. That trans is called the 'C-5'.

If you want a 'four-speed' automatic trans, you're looking at one of the overdrive transmissions. The easiest swap is for the non-computer controlled AOD. It is the mmost common overdrive trans behind V-8 cars from 1980-1991.

Most of the other later RWD overdrive trannies need computer control. Then you're talking the AOD-E and the E4OD.

The AOD-E is found behind V-8s from 1991 to ???. The AOD-E more closely resembles the regular AOD. Its just computer controlled instead of throttle position cable controlled. Both the AOD and the AOD-E achieve lockup simultaneous with Third gear operation.

Both the AOD and AOD-E are light duty to medium duty transmissions. The heavy duty truck and van overdrive transmission is the E4OD.

The E4OD is an overdrive C-6. Most of the 'front half' internals are the same as a C-6. The E4OD differs from the other overdrive trannies in that the torque converter lockup is independant from shifting or gear shifting. These trannies are behemoths. Whereas I used to bench press the three speed automatic trannies, (C3, C4, FMX and C-6) into place, there is no way in help that I can lift one of these E4ODs off the ground!

Anyway, sorry I got so long winded here. There are other board members who can guide you through a AOD swap. They have done them. I haven't. I am thinking about it though, just so I can run a steeper, quick accelerating rear gear and with the help of the overdrive, still maintain a modicum of gas mileage!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts