Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my c4 transmission makes a whining/ howling noise in park and neutral, and quiets down when put into gear. When it is put into gear, it doesn't do anything. It has fluid, what is the problem?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It is in my 1968 cougar, with supposedly has the stock but rebuilt 302. I just bought the car yesterday and personally, I dont know a whole lot about cars yet, and even less about Ford/Mercury.

·
10,987 Posts
You need to check the fluid level with the car running, transmission in park. If it is full then the only thing that you can do is to pull the pan and inspect. No doubt the failure to drive has something to do with the reason the previous owner sold it to you yesterday.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We bought it knowing something was wrong- he thought it was the torque converter -but when we pulled the driveline, no fluid came out. We got it home and put fluid in while it was running, but still got no results.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, it was showing on the stick, but put another quart in, and the noise got quieter. It would also kinda spin the wheels in gear. We put another quart in and it seemed a little better, after a short time it would start whining in neutral/park again. We put some seafoam in and ran it a little, and when we checked the dipstick, there was nothing on it. We added another quart and it read way over full. In reverse it would spin forward. Any ideas?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dropped the trans pan and the filter was crammed full of what looked like a shredded towel. Cleaned it all out and it went right into gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts