Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 4 speed to mount behind My 1970 351C 2V 3 speed manual. The numbers on the transmission are C5AR-7006-D. I don't know yet if it is closed or wide ratio. I need wide! The seller says it was on a 65 mustang with a 351 Windsor. Will it mount with minimal modification? Thanks Sal

Attachments

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Sal, there should be a tag on the right side towards the front of the trans. with codes on them. Can you post the info. Thanks John

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if that tag is still there, will try to get that information. Thanks Sal

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Yup.
Looking for something like RUG-? or HEH-?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
If no tag, no way to tell what it is save for taking it all apart, ID'ing gears, number of teeth, etc...

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Also look for a VIN number stamped on the case. Usual on the top edge of the case on a mounting flange . Some times in other places. This can help to get an ID for what it came out of.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK I think I may have found one that will work!

Tag on Gear housing HEH-G 018933
Stamped on gear box C4AR-1006-A
W-2 198
Stamped on tail housing 040R-7A040A
828-W1
The spline comes with the unit

Again it is going behind my 1970 cougar standard Convertible 351 C V2 3 speed manual. Will it fit? thanks Sal

I have been on David Kee toploaders web site and I think it will but not sure.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Sal, according to TC&MT (The Cougar & Mustang Tagbook) HEH-G is listed for the 1965 trans tag chart produced before Sept. 1964 and was used on the 260 CI & then the 289 CI before 08-20-64. Also, the #018933 is the trans serial number, but is not the same serial number for a car. I don't know if it will work. John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts