Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, based on pictures and part matching, I know that I have a C4 tranny in my Cougar, and I'm pretty sure it's the original. My glove-box owner's manual makes reference to the "Merc-o-matic" transmission, and I just want to make sure that this is different than the "Ford-o-matic" should be avoided in performance applications...

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
greggieatthebat said:
I just want to make sure that this is different than the "Ford-o-matic" should be avoided in performance applications...
lol so you get Car Craft too eh?? jk jk... thats what they said about the FMX in this months issue. nothing inherently wrong with the FMX and other Ford-o-matics other than parts availability. but yeah.. id rather build a happy C4 than build up an FMX for heavy use.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I get Car Craft, Hot Rod, Mustangs and Fords, and Grassroots Motorsports.... the HRM subscription has been boring me lately (too much like Motor Trend or something). M&F has lately regained my interest with its "restomod" theme, showing how-tos of installing a 5 (or 6) speed tranny, and things like that. I have been impressed that the percentage of Mustang coverage has also decreased in favor of Cougar/Fairlane/Falcon coverage. I actually applied to work at Car Craft a couple of times, but my education is too technical with not enough writing background (at least, that's what I tell myself).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Greg,

Your C4 should be able to handle anything your 302 can dish out, be sure if you have it rebuilt to do/check a couple things:

Get good friction parts, I recommend Coan Engineering out of Indiana (or is it Ohio?). I've heard the raybestos ones are good too, but I can't vouch for that.

Have whoever does the rebuild follow the clutch pack tolerances religiously... You will find the select-fit snap rings at trans-star in St. Louis... They are cheap.

Also, have them check and stay within the service manual recommended overall end play tolerance... Trans Star has the select-fit thrust washers too.

I suggest upgrading to an "H" or "R" servo for the front band... I guess the aftermarket ones out of Summit are dimensionally the same as the "H", but again, I have no history with them.

Your shift kit will help it last longer too. The thing that kills the C4 is the "flare" on the 2-3 shift... burns up the clutch dics, etc...

The C4 is supposedly as strong as the C6 when assembled correctly, and I know the use up less power due to parasitic (internal friction) losses. I'm running mine set up this way, 375+ HP 302, drag raced probably 25 passes, getting about 3000 rpm's against a TCI stall converter at the launch.

Ron.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ron-
Thanks for the info and advice!
Unfortunately I wasn't able to be intimately involved in the tranny rebuild (my dad had it done at the local community college while I was away at school) so I'm not sure which parts he used; I know we had to replace the planetary assembly (I have the old one at home, the inner splines are shorn to nothing, that's why we pulled the tranny in the first place). I definitely want to open up/inspect it once I have the car up here and I have a garage in which to work.
One thing I don't like about the shift kit is that, due to the fluid rerouting (I assume?), the reverse clutches have no pressure, so I have to really rev the engine (3500 or more) to back into my driveway (I mild incline, at most). Has anyone else had this kind of change? I expected some change (performance must cost something), but it seems a little excessive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts