Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Cougar, stock 302 almost all original.
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I hope this video links up. 1968 cougar 302 automatic C4. Came home From a long car cruise today, and transmission fluid trail up my driveway to under my car. When the car is off there is no leak. On the car is on and running there is a very active transmission dripping out of the front area. I’ve restored this and a ‘68 Mustang but never restored a transmission.
Thought?

·
Registered
1 Posts

I hope this video links up. 1968 cougar 302 automatic C4. Came home From a long car cruise today, and transmission fluid trail up my driveway to under my car. When the car is off there is no leak. On the car is on and running there is a very active transmission dripping out of the front area. I’ve restored this and a ‘68 Mustang but never restored a transmission.
Thought?
I would say that this is the pump seal. Unless you can find where one of the transmission cooling lines is leaking (under pressure) and fooling you into thinking its coming from somewhere else (meaning the front bottom of the trans, which is unlikely). If its coming from relief notch on the bottom of the inspection cover, its gunna be the front pump seal. That will require you to drop the transmission, remove the bellhousing, pull the front pump and replace the front pump seal. I had the same thing happen to my mustang with a C4. It was so annoying because otherwise the car didn't leak anything. While you are in there, replace the front torque converter seal too. Unfortunately, no matter what, you're dropping the trans.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thought?
There is a bushing in the front and rear of transmission. It wears out it will leak under pressure. A lot of trans shop dont change these if they look good. there only a few bucks and 5 minutes to install . I would say your front bushing is worn out being it leaks when running.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts