Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what I believe is a 1985 C-6 transmission in my '70 XR7. It does have AH 7-17-85 stamped on one side of the transmission, and I read on another web-site that C-6 transmissions have 17 bolts on the transmission pan - mine does. So given this data I think it's a C-6 . If I'm way off pls. let me know. What type of transmission fluid should I put in the car?? I'd like to get the Cougar out this weekend - so fast responses would be greatly appreciated:) . I got into trouble when I had the radiator sent out for a re-core, and snapped a transmission cooling line when removing it - the beginning of a real long night and story. Oh, it's a 3-speed automatic.

·
Registered
86 Posts
ATF

well, most shops do not use type F, the mostly use Dextron/Mercon in everything. You'll be o-k with just the Dextron, I haev even mixed the two fluids nd have had no bad results.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I just got rid of my nice ole 85 f350 dsl with a c-6 and I know it called for dextron from the factory for it.mm

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx

thanks for the replies - I ended up putting "F" type fluid in the transmission ( that's what the dipstick called for). And yes the Cougar prowled the streets of Cleveland this weekend.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts