Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate my locking trans dipstick anyone know of a better one I could use? This is my situation, I have a 69 cat with a c4 trans that leaks from the shift linkage. My locking dipstick is a pita to remove and re-insert due to the close spacing of the filler tube to the firewall.

I don't really want to just bend the tube for fear I might break it. I'd like to just get a simple push in one but the auto parts store guy (he's a Mustnag guy) suggested that I stick with what I have since anything now would get blown out under hard driving.

I call that BS since I've seen other cars with way more power than me without locking ones. I don't want to just buy one according to my current length but what is the right way to figure out which one you need?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
in our 67 big block car , i could'nt keep the dipstick tube from leaking---got a tube with locking dipstick from a gm 700r4 transmission---measure where your fluid level mark is in relationship to the flange that rests on the trans---cut the bottom off the c-4 tube and weld a similar amount off the 700r4 tube on the bottom---see how high the tube sits in the car and add the approiate amount of the 700r4 tube top to the c4 to make it easy to check and fill----------take the two rivits out of the 700r4 dipstick and shorten it to the correct dim---install with a new gm seal----you now have a trans tube that will never leak at the bottom and is easy to reach in the car
doctordesoto

1 - 2 of 2 Posts