Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm currently refreshing my dad's FMX out of his '72 XR7 with new seals throughout while the engine is off being rebuilt with a cam upgrade.
I'm debating whether I should put in the Transgo SK 3-67 or their 37-1 reprogramming kit. (Or if you have another recommendation I'm all ears!)

My question is, can anyone give me some firsthand opinions on how hard the transmission will shift gears with either of these kits?

The car will be used on the street only, never raced. We want the shifts to be firm but not jarring. Transmission reliability and longevity are the priorities.

Also, if anyone has other suggestions for upgrades or modifications while I've got everything apart, I appreciate any input! This is only my second transmission rebuild, the other was a Chrysler A500 (42RH) out of an '89 Dodge Dakota so I've got plenty to learn here.

Thanks,
Ivan

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
I'm not familiar with that specific kit, however- There may be other mods required based on the ' mild cam' you install. A shift kit will provide firmer shifts at a minimum, but there are options, depending on your usage. I'm glad you said mild street use, that rules out the need for a stage three shift kit with 3500+ stall speed torque converter! The mid range kit will probably be your best bet. My kit only required removing the valve body and swapping a few parts to match the 3500 stall TC. I'm not on here very much any more, hopefully I answered at least a bit of your question-

·
Registered
67 Posts
Do not know about the current kits. I had a 69 with a 351-W and a FMX I put a Transgo shift kit in the late 70's. The shifts were VERY quick and could be harsh at times. From a standing start flooring the pedal, shifting manually I would go 0-50 in first gear, upon shifting to 2nd the shift would be quite harsh and "bark" the tires. Shifting into 3rd at approximately 100 would "chirp" the tires. VERY fast shifts. In drive, under "normal" acceleration the shifts were a little softer but still quick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts