Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, just a few questions on my C6. I have it, and the 390 which I have rebuilt, on a cradle outside of the car. I have been running the engine on this cradle for a few months now (you can see the setup in my picture gallery). the tranny has a 3000 stall B&M converter in it (which hadn't been used since the early 80's), and from the start, the tranny made a "whining" noise that we thought was coming from the converter (a few people that listened to it run, thought the noise was normal for a high stall converter). first question...is it normal? After about 2 hours on the engine, the tranny decided to start seeping fluid from where the tranny dipstick enters the transmission. the o-ring is old and I knew it wasn't a good seal, but just for running on the stand, it shouldn't have been a problem. second question...what could cause the tranny to leak like that?
thanks, erik

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
my tranny (C6,2500 stall) whines too sometimes. Hows the fluid level??? The tube leak could be the 0-ring is twisted ir just shot. Or it could also be under the o-ring, the tube is cracked (happened to mine so I had to replace the tube). Pull the tube out and check under the o-ring for an cracks and replace the o-ring while its out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think the tranny fluid level was ever above, or into, where the dipstick enters the transmission? for the first couple hours on the engine, I had no leakage at the dipstick tube...if the fluid level is always above that point, then it probably just started leaking...but thinking the level shouldn't be at that level, I think I may have a larger problem.
thanks for the reply, erik

·
11,000 Posts
Tranny fluid level is always above the o-ring when the engine is off. When the engine is running fluid pressure keeps the torque converter full so the fluid goes down below o-ring level.

Are you checking fluid level with the engine running?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies. yup, always check fluid level while engine is running. I was sort of concerned, cause it started leaking after the engine had been started and ran, on and off over a period 2 months. guess the o ring just decided to let loose.
just need a new o-ring...and it sounds like the whining of the torque converter is normal as well.
thanks again! erik

1 - 5 of 5 Posts