Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uncle had a 69 that he left sit out in the woods until it sank in the mud up past the frame. :cry: I know it had been there for at least 22 years.(he never got a clear title).

Well three weeks ago he gave the engine away and the kid that he gave it to used a tractor to rip it out of the mud and pulled it in half when he did.:confused: Not quite the way I would have done it but I wasn't asked.
Anyway, the rearend is still sitting there and I think I can get the tranny from this not so bright kid. The question I have is what transmission is in it?
I know it was an automatic but when I checked the doorplate info on the decoder page here it didn't have the listing.

Here is the door plate info and lets see if anyone else can figure out the tranny questions.

9F94H512378
76B Y 6A 11K 34 2 7

Also, there are some parts that are in amazingly good shape and I will be up there this weekend toscavenge them. I know the rear turn signals are in great shape and the gas door isn't cracked and looks pretty good. The reverse lights are both there and intact with decent chrome around them. One of the lenses is cracked but not broken.Instrument cluster is there but is in need of some repair because the plastic in back is cracked.
This is not a classified ad so don't make Logan move it by bidding here, but I would like some suggestions of what to look for that might be salvagable.
Sorry for the long post but I started rambling.
John B.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
is the car all original? is it a convertible or a hardtop? plus i checked my decoder page n no 7 was there, if its a 351w car n its a auto. chances are it could be a fmx but then again weirder things have happened.
thanks
pat
p.s. on the door dag under tranny check again if it is a 7 or not, it goes from 1 then to 5 then 6 then a U THEN A W,X,Z for tranny codes.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure

It is a convertible and is all 100% original. I have the rearend decoded and it is 2.75 non-locking. Not a power house I know but something I could slip in if I move farther from work and need the mileage.
I double checked the code and it is definitely a 7.
John B.
P.S. it is an XR-7

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
then it must be a fmx cause more then likely.The cougar either came w/ a fmx for auto. a 3 speed manual or a 4 speed manual. for 69 that is or a c6 but if its a 351w more then likely its a fmx.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is an auto tranny. So I'm looking at an FMX. Are they a good tranny or would I be better off leaving it where it is?
John B.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
well........
there ok but high performance parts are few and far between for them.I`m not no tranny expert but i heard the best auto to build for the small blocks are the AOD or the c4. A AOD you can run a taller gear and have the rpms low cause of the overdrive, c4s are lightweight and parts are cheap to build these trannys.for street and strip use.
hope this helps a bit
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
you mean "shorter" gear with an AOD. Shorter gears mean lasts shorter (less time) in each gear: 3.92, 4.11 etc.

Longer gear is a 3.00, 2.75 in comparison.

I know it's just terminology but this is an educational forum as well.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
youre right bill my mistake. Thanks for clearing it up
thanks
pat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts