Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im inheriting an 02 couger with a loud knocking sound and with used engines being fairly cheap was thinking about swapping from the 2.5 dohc to the 2.0 and was wondering if i would have to do anything to the tranny

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Well - this site is primarily for 67-73 Cougars so I don't know how much help we can be unless somebody is familiar with those.....you might try googling ford 2.0 2.5 swap and see what you dig up.....

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Prepare to shield your eyes from the picture of socalcraigster's "brother-in-law"........

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Welcome to the site, But I'm affraid I am not going to be any help either.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i can not answer whether the 2.0 will fit the 2.5 trans or not but i can say this.
with these late model cars it would be best to get the same engine that you have now.
unless you are good at changeing the electronics that controle the motor as well as the trans.
the electronics are set for engine size, car size /weight, fuel injector size, trans. shift points and more.
some even control the am/fm radio, security, climate controle,,,,,,,and on..

it is not as easy to swap engine size/type these day's without haveing to mess with allot of changes.
it can be done but it is not worth it in the long run for a daily driver.

you did not say what your goal is for the car, but you just can not toss any engine in there and have it run good.
it would be differant if you were building something with turbos, 80lbs injectors, ported head, ect...
but even then you have the electronics to mess with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts