Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering the tranny for my driver. What opinions do you catfans have?
What is more fun; a top loader 4-speed close ratio or :
a automatic overdrive tranny?
Consider gas mileage and fun in driving but everyday.
Any experience out there with both?
:D

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
In everything but heavy traffic, no question about it.."4 SPEED"..

Bruce

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why? the top loader is more fun? or is it more fuel efficient?
or both?
The 1988 AOD ford 4-speed overdrive auto tranny is pretty good on fuel economy as well.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
The fuel economy will be about the same.But the fun to drive question, gotta have the standard. I don't know how to say it. It's just more fun..Drive it and you will like it...

Bruce

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thinking about it hard. The rear dif. in my 69 is 3:50 ratio and the 351w 4-bbl. pushes 400 HP.
still a top loader 4-speed or hard shifting AOD with overdrive for the freeway cruising? sound off Cougar fans. you all will help me decide!

·
Registered
965 Posts
If you like shifting gears, either a toploader or T-5 with a 3:50 rear end will be fine. Steve is right, the T-5 is a good compromise for overdrive driving. Nothing like banging gears!!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so far the top loader is winning. I have a close ratio top loader to use and a lakewood bellhousing. but will need the clutch pedal set-up complete. is the clutch and brake pedal and support the same as a 67/68? if not anyone got a complete set of pedals, support bracket, linkage, and backup light wiring for a 69..?
seems like the auto is cheaper and easier??:D

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ANYONE???

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Your auto pedal bracket will work with the clutch pedal. The only part I have specific for a 69 is a brake pedal. However, you could simply use your auto brake pedal by cutting it. Most of the Cougar / Mustang vendors sell all the stock clutch linkage. You also have the option of going with a hydraulic setup for a toploader.

I should also mention, you need a clutch pedal specific for a 69 cougar or mustang.

·
11,000 Posts
The T5 is great shifting and has that extra gear for cruising. If you can treat the car with some respect, no power shifting or clutch dump starts, go T5.

The top loader can take more abuse, they are just about indestructable. I say if you plan on any drag strip action, go top loader.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
go with the toploader takes more abuse and were you really all that concerned about gas milage? with that gearing i think it is way down on the list of prioritys. i know it is on mine.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Go manual, I'll trade you a T-5 for a toploader (I wish) :D !!! Then you'll have overdrive!!!
Scott

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK everyone, I'm convinced. I think I will check on working out the details. one more question, what about maintainance?
Changing the clutch and pressure plate, throwout bearing etc..
They are a bear to change I understand. Especially for one person..
Auto's require little or no maintainance right?
I have never had my 69 FMX repaired inany way. 34 years and no problems. Don't think a clutch will can match that...
Any tricks to replacing the clutch parts to make it easier and better?
Then top loader it is..

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Use a good clutch and drive it right and they'll last also. I had an 89 F150 with 189,000 on it when I got rid of it with the original clutch still in it, and I towed my car trailer with it now and then... Not many Auto tranny's would last that long. There isn't much maintenence to a Manual. Auto's on the other hand SHOULD have the fluid and internal filter serviced every 20,000 miles or so according to manufactures recommendations.
Scott

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi , I'm switching over my 71 Cougar 351c from C6 (lost second gear..band I think) to a toploader wide ratio out of a 70 351C Mach 1 . I bought everything from the Hurst shifter down and up to the motor from one guy (trans,bell,clutch,flywheel etc.) . I was missing factory mechanical equalizer parts (now own them all ) and a couple hydraulic set ups, 4 speed pedal assembly....anyways my point is ..I kicked back and cruized ebay where I bought most of my missing parts . I also researched a ton on what I needed , what fits what ( interchanges) , mostly buy looking at large Mustang/Cougar parts suppliers and seeing how they listed years of cars etc. for certain items etc.(I saved a ton of money by selectively purchasing what I needed from individuals or reasonably priced retailers). I have a stack of printed pages catagorized covering tranny, electrical , engine , body etc. that is about eight inches tall now . For your year car it ought to be a lot simpler reasearching than for me , 71-73 is a real hassle little parts , little info. 70 and down...tons . Hope this helps...sorry for the long Post . Robert

1 - 17 of 17 Posts