Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Tranny Install Update

929 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  sweetair 
#1 ·
As some are aware here, I've gotten myself into a little more of a project than I initially started.

To review: I was going to replace the flywheel and clutch on my 1969 XR7 Vert S code 4 speed toploader. In the middle of that swap out I realized that the top drivers "ear" of the tranny case was broken off as well as a dime was placed where one of the front plugs were, resulting in a tranny that was leaking, and leaking enough that the clutch disc was soaked, and also providing a good shudder/vibration on acceleration. This resulted in my wanting to replace the tranny for one with all "ears" attached and no leaks.

I found a great place in NC to get 4 speed top loaders. Dan Williams is his name. You can google him. Very personable gent. Don't call if you don't have at least a half hour to kill on the phone. He knows anything and everything about 4 speed toploaders. No joke.

Since I am putting in an "Almost Brand New Toploader" the main case is the only reused part I figure why not put in a new Hurst Shifter and the necessary install kit.
Both were acquired by Summit Racing.

The install party was this past Sunday. The flywheel and pilot bearing were already installed when we started just before Thanksgiving. The new clutch and throw-out bearing were also put on. The shift kit, and shifter get put on the new tranny as well as the shift boot I got from Don @ WCCC back in July, thanks again. I also put on a new rubber clutch fork boot on the bell housing I got from CJ Pony Parts. WCCC did not have this item.

All parts being reused, clutch fork, bell housing, drive shaft, etc either got cleaned or repainted as well.

It all goes together and 2 qts of NAPA 75-90 gear oil are put in, the time comes to do the test drive. Besides it shifting a little tight, she is driving well.

Then comes this noise. A screeching sound. Not very loud but audible over the idling engine. The schreeching is present when the car is running, in nuetral and the clutch is not depressed. Once the clutch is depressed the noise stops. Interesting to say the least.

Where we are going next with this is here. The thought process is that the snout over the input shaft is not a re-used part, but a NEW part made is Brazil and it might be just out of spec. Meaning the snout might be rubbing the clutch plate. The clutch plate is spinning when the car in running, in nuetral and the clutch pedal is not depressed. Once the clutch pedal is depressed it (the clutch) stops spinning.

The next plan of attack is to loosen the 4 bolts that hold the tranny to the block and insert some U shapes washers and retighten it. This should space it about an 1/8th inch. Start the car and if there is no schreeching then we are going to remove the tranny and machine the snout back an 1/8th inch or so for clearance from the clutch disc.

I have a Master mechanic/shop foreman previously from a Ford dealership, now a shop foreman at a GM dealership being the brains behind this install. I implicitly trust his opinion/thoughts.

If there are any thoughts from the group here, feel free to share??

I have a bunch of pics but need to resize them and that seems to be an issue for me right now.

Thanks for reading.

Bill
<dl id="profile5345" class="postprofile online"><dt> </dt></dl>http://www.classiccougarcommunity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=504#wrap

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.