Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after putting in the Transgo 38-1 kit (Which some of you said was good, and others said never worked right for the FMX) twice (Double checked my work) my tranny has never run right. Sure it shifts alot harder, second gear chirps, downshift chirps and such, but in D it pulls itself out of gear, and when I give the car gas it will grab the gear and shoot forward. Seems to have gotten worse since I retarded the timing... Soooo.. I have come to the conclusion that, either this Transgo kit is junk, or my tranny went out to lunch at the same time I put the kit in.

So, my only hope is to: A) Find a different brand of shift kit and hope that helps. B) Buy a brand new valve body (This is what I would really like to do) or C) Cover the car up and in a few months drop a new tranny in.

Can anyone tell me where I can get a different brand shift kit? Or a new/rebuilt valve body?

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey Chris - give A-1 Transmissions out in the valley a call. they do good work and will spend some time on the phone talking to you about your problem.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Chris,

Having done this install multiple times it's not the kit.

It does sound like you might have gotten the manual valve adjustment incorrect with the linkage. There's also a couple of checks you need to make to the linkage when you're removing the valve body.

Let us know what you find out.

Bill

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really?! What kind of checks? Never heard anything about that.

Thanks

Chris

It sucks when I forget its in second at a stoplight and stomp on it... she goes nowhere fast :D

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did talk to some old guy at a tranny shop (Only one at the shop that probably knew anything about an FMX) and told me that the stripped bolt in the middle of the valve body that is missing could also be a problem as fluid is going somewhere it shouldn't... And after taking a look at the Recycler lastnight (Any V8 Ford smallblock or 390, complete $445 with no trade in and fee delivery) or a 302 and C4 tranny with 15k miles on both for $450 bucks, I have decided to run her til she drops dead and replace it... I am sick of nothing fitting the FMX anyway...

Also, it works fine when its cold, Drive works great, when it heats up... it screws up...

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Hi Chris,

Well it sounds like there was more to the story. The fact that the tranny shop guy said there was a missing bolt is a major red flag. The adjustment I was talking about with the manual lever was during the reinstall of the valve body -- not the removal as I said previously.
However, now that you're saying the VB is missing a bolt.... The line pressures are boosted about 40psi with the new kit. The fluid will find any way to get out of the passage (the old least resistance rule...). The VB has to be realigned against the manual lever properly to make sure the VB aligns with the holes in the case properly (maximum fluid transfer). That is what I was referring to.
If in fact your trans has a stripped bolt hole it would have to be fixed to make it run. I have several fully prepared VBs in stock should you need parts.

Bill
cmpcpro said:
Really?! What kind of checks? Never heard anything about that.

Thanks

Chris

It sucks when I forget its in second at a stoplight and stomp on it... she goes nowhere fast :D

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really?! How much for a valve body? Do they have the Transgo kits in them already? And, I believe the bolt is stripped from the actual tranny, it just goes thru the valvebody to hold it up, but bolts into the tranny... Still has some great shifts though... if I do it manually... the other day I got it to spin shifting into second... not chirp... spin... hehehehe....

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Chris,

Give me 'til this weekend to rooting through my FMX stuff. I know I have several with kits in them already but can't promise without a quick look.
Write me offline at [email protected] for more info.

Bill

cmpcpro said:
Really?! How much for a valve body? Do they have the Transgo kits in them already? And, I believe the bolt is stripped from the actual tranny, it just goes thru the valvebody to hold it up, but bolts into the tranny... Still has some great shifts though... if I do it manually... the other day I got it to spin shifting into second... not chirp... spin... hehehehe....

Thanks!!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great thanks! Tell me if you find one for a 69 FMX =D Kit would be prefered, love those second gear chirps =) Makes me think I am in a stick... well a little bit atleast :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts