Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of questions for you experts out there. First, will a C6 bolt onto a 460. I took the tranny out of my 71 LTD convertible. It had a 400M in it. Also, the LTD was an automatic on the column and my 72 cougar convertible that it receiving the 460 shifts on the floor. Is the difference in column auto and floor auto only in the linkage? will the c6 from my 71 ltd work in my 72 Cougar?

The final question concerns a 351C that hasn't been started in awhile. It fires when I put some gas in the carb, but dies when that is gone. The fuel filter is clear, I can blow through it, but I don't seem to get any fuel from the line when I pump it or bumb it. Any tips or do I just start with a fuel pump.

Thanks. David

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The C6 was available for SBF, FEs and BBFs. Your 400M bellhousing should mate right up to the 460. The bad news is that your shifter arm coming out of the tranny may need some "tweaking" as I believe those are different.
The starting problem sounds like a fuel pump to me, but make sure that you are getting fuel to the pump. You may have a clogged line or filter/screen coming from the tank.
Also make sure that you don't have a broken pump diaphram dumping gas into the oil.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts