Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was mid march on a nice sunny day when my cat was getting towed(dad was tired of seeing it and i was stumped). I walk into the kitchen and dad hand's me a letter from some police office deal, and i open it up only to find that it's a tow notice for my car. Luckily the shop got her up and running within a couple hours and i had her back in a couple days. To my dismay i blew something about a week later testing her out on a nice open stretch of road after a couple seconds of close to full throttle.
What really gets me is that someone would put out a notice for my cat especially since it was in the driveway, and there's a mustang that the guy doesn't even work on parked out on the street.

So the notice says that if it was towed i wouldn't be able to get it back at all, no matter what. The car that i bought for around 1200 and since have put close to 3 grand into.

Just thought i'd share, hope nobody else has to go through anything like this.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Ian i am confused...do you have it back and now they want to take it back or it's yours and thats that?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as i know it's mine, the notice went into affect on the 27th, it said if the car wasn't operable or moved within 10 days they'd tow it. So as far as i know it's mine cause it wasn't towed, and it's in the garage. I couldn't get a hold of anyone to tell me if i've been taken off the list.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That really sucks that it's apparently permissable for your neighbor to have his 'project car' by the street (potentially leaking harmful fluids into groundwater perhaps?) whereas it's illegal for you to have your car in your driveway. I do know that some communities have ordinances pertaining to the storage of 'unsightly' cars..some 'elite' neighborhoods prefer having their environment free of anything not beautiful in their eyes. Is this possibly the case here? Also, what kind of cat do you have? Glad you got it back though.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
here in florida i heard you have a unregistered vehicle on your own property it is against the law.Even on your own property. Thankfully the new hotrod 80 pickup is registered and insured as well as the rest of them. Aguy next door called the cops saying he had a car that was not registered sitting in his yard and then the cops came and told him you gotta get rid of it. But the kid up the street from me has a wake up call comming he has 8 cars in their yard and like 4 arent registered or 3 i think but still and 1 of them is the eliminator i just sold to him..
thanks
pat

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i had Sharky parked in a 'Visitor' parking space here in my condo complex while im working on another car for someone. left the car there for about a day and a half when i get there then i see 3 notes on it saying that its in violation of the rules and that they will fine me and tow the car if its not moved right away. i find it odd that others here park their cars in those spaces yet nothing is said to them. yet when the young guy with the rusty POS parks there all hell breaks loose. did i mention that there is an old lady that was parked directly next to it in TEMPORARY handicapped parking the whole time? that wouldnt be so bad exc that she treats it like her personal parking space and has parked there every single day for the last year...... nevermind her 2 car garage that isnt used.... so whats the moral? if you are a young guy you get pushed around esp if you have a less than perfect car. yet old folks can do whatever they want. so now Sharky is taking residence at my grandparents house until i take it apart in about a week or two. oh well. haste sucks

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
When I lived in the apartments I bought Kitty and had no licence plate on it and they complained so, they said I could cover it. I had no license since it was revoked at that time and I could not register it. Then the manager said I had to park it over by the playground on the other side of the complex totally out of sight and around playing children.:angryfi: Well, I decided to move and rent a house! Now, I bought a house and so far I can have as many unregistered cars as I want.

·
Registered
121 Posts
About 6 months after I moved into my townhouse here, I decided I wanted to bring my 69 down from WY where I used to live. This was the first chance I had to bring it down in over 2 years since moving to AZ. I got it here, got it running decent enough to be smooth on the street and took it to get emissions tested. Unfortunately it failed and I spent 300 on it to try to get it to pass. At the time I had no place to do the work myself so I took it to a shop (a story for a another time). To make a long story short it didn't pass even then and I parked it in the back portion of my complex lot on the other side of the pool. A few months went by and it had a tow notice on it. I found out that the people who live around the pool complained and since it didn't have registration it was in violation. I was going to have it waived for a year so I could at least drive it but this forced me to take it to a storage place where it has been ever since. I hate it when people don't have a clue what's going on and just complain. They knew I owned the car and never said a word to me about it.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
cugrrr1969 said:
They knew I owned the car and never said a word to me about it.
exactly. thats how it is here alot. most of the time they dont confront me and tell me to move my car or anything. i just go there and find notes on it. if they would just ask me to move or something i would, but i dont take well to them just going behind my back and doing that.

on a side note.... all this towing talk must have gotten the car gods excited.... my cousin stayed over here last night and we woke up this morning and found that his car was... yup... towed away lol. parked in a supermarket lot thats next door. ayy lol

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
My father-in-law used to get them (tow notices ) all the time on his 71 charger parked on the street.... About once every few weeks he would wash it ( it really was a POS) and then push it over to a new spot in front of his house LOL I never did see that car run.... after three years of doing this he finnaly sold it...LOL

Don

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally heard back from the cop that gave me the notice. She's a woman, and not too suprising considering she marked down the car as a Mercury Lincoln. She said it was because i had the air cleaner sitting out and there were blocks behind the wheels. I kept the blocks behind the wheels cause those drum brakes don't hold too well going backwards. So the notice is still out for my car, and for now it's in the garage, much to my step mother's disliking(It's the spot for her 02 new beetle). So if anyone's remembers or has been folowing i'm getting a set of rebuilt heads from Kragen, and it's been about 3 weeks now. First time they told me they'd be in by the 22nd, then i found out that someone screwed up the order and to date i haven't gotten them in. So while i'm waiting on heads, my step mom was pissed cause i wasn't working on the car, so i decided it'd be a good time to pull of that vinyl top and replace it, or atleast get it pulled off and cleaned up. So now i have a cat in the garage with a roof halfway done that needs a fair amount of patch up work, especially below the rear window.

For some of you that may be confused, i never lost the car...
and it's a 69 xr7 hedge. Complete with the 351w engine, and someone threw a c4 behind it. It was black with a black vinyl top, but now i guess you'd call it black with a glue and steel top(until i put some new vinyl on her).

·
Registered
965 Posts
Pat,
Each county must have its own rules. Here in Marion county, you can have multiple cars on your property as long as its moves under its own power, registered or not. You may also have one nonmoving one. You can have several nonmoving as long as they are under roof. On my farm,where I keep the cars, the development has deed restrictions but follows the county guidelines on this issue. Fortunately, my 48x60 garage/stable keeps the horses and horsepower tucked away from view.

Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts