Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so being a new member of the breaking bolts off in the engine block I took some advice and went out and got my first torque wrench, now the question is does everything use the same setting or do different bolts require different settings, is there a list of what is what if all arent the same? :smoke:

·
Registered
508 Posts
You need a shop manual for your year/model and yes,.... different bolts on different parts have different torque specs.

and hey,.... Cats-Rock-in-to-the-Night,...CATS ROCK'IN,.. into the Night!!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Specific torque values are printed in the shop manual for the engine, driveline, and chassis, also and very important is the sequence in which the bolts are torqed, some will be a two step process where final torque is achieved.
Then you have the typical torque values of a given bolt size, sometimes they are listed right on the cardboard packaging or instructions of your new torque wrench.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
All the above and remember that unless specified, torque values are for a "dry" bolt (no lubricant) as that can change the actual torque.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Remember there are inch/lb (1/4 drive) or ft/lb torque wrenches....in/lbs are for small stuff like carb bolts, ft/lb are either 3/8 drive or 1/2 drive and usually the 3/8 drive covers a smaller range of torque than it's larger cousin the 1/2 for big stuff (for head bolts, rod bolts, etc)

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guess I over thought the question and should have checked the shop manual first before asking the question. I got a 1/2 wrench on sale $10 and am on the prowel for a 3/8 next. :smoke: And all I can say to the singing of 67.5xr7 is "Righty O "

·
Registered
913 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts