Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the tubular crossmember under the engine, where would I find the torque specs. In my service manuel I can not even find the cross member? Nor in the build manuals. Would I just go off of bolt size for this? I also searched the archives here but haven't located anything yet. Thanks The engine is a 390

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Harvey , the Crossmember Assembly to Frame specs is listed on page 8-134 under Engine Support Torque Limits -FT. LBS. in the shop manual. Unfortunately, it doesn't list the torque specs for the 390-427 for the Cougar-Mustang. The torque specs for the 289-302 Cougar-Mustang is 45-60 FT LBS though. John

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I looked through everything I have and couldn't find it either. I will just go to the high end of the 289-302?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I would stay with the 45-60 lbs. because you don't tighten according to engine, you tighten to bolt size, which is the same on all crossmembers.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, I got my nomenclature wrong on a couple bolts already. I thought the torque values were to high for the size of bolts and found out the hard way it was! I found a chart in the engine section that gave torque values for unlisted bolts according to size of bolt. I need to copy that and paste it up on the wall of the barn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts