Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Here are two pictures of a torque box. A torque box is essentially a box that joins the frame (unibody) to the car body, for strength I believe. Might be different for different years. I believe the 67 does not have a passenger side, but I could be wrong.
Looking at floor towards front of car. Torque box is next tom and in front of unibody frame rail.
torque.jpg torque close.jpg

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I believe the 67 does not have a passenger side, but I could be wrong.
No, you are correct. Also, a torque box can be placed there on the passengers side. John

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Billy,
I took the liberty of circling the area where I have a hole (see image). The part that looks like the frame rail is in great condition. The floor pans are fine also. Is the part circled replaceable?
torque.jpg

·
Registered
508 Posts
UMmmmm,..I can smell the salt. Are you going for a full restore or just concerned with structural strength?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Andy,

Yes, the torque boxes are replaceable, but it is not an easy job and other things such as part of the floor pan must be removed in order to properly attach a replacement.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the car was given to me so if this is the only really complicated part that is wrong, I am still ahead. Question.....What kind of a leak would make the bottom rust out of the box? The rest of it is fine as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think what 67.5xr7 is trying to say is (and I am taking some liberty here): you can fix it, by grinding out rust (inside and out) and welding a plate on it. This would give you the strength you need there. But, if you want a Concours car, originality, or resale value then you would need to replace the entire box. If the floor are in really good shape and that's the only hole, I would patch it (but that's just me).

As to where is came from, there are several likely sources. The boxes aren't really sealed, so water could have gotten in from the top and not drained out. Could have leaked down from cowl (clogged by leaves, etc.), or could just be where rust decided to take up residence.

Have you checked the floor under the carpet by the dimmer switch? Could be rusted there too. I have a hole that a bowling ball would fit in there, but I have a Wisconsin car :(

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have checked the floors because when i got it, it didnt have any carpet. Do they look like new? No but they are no where near bad condition. I am a structural designer for ships so I really understand structural integrity, it just makse sense. I like the fact that since I am not building a show car, I do not need to worry about total replacement. I will cut out the rust and repair as needed as long as it is structurally sound.

When i first gotthis car, i was like it kind of a neat car but the more I tinker with it, the more it becomes a labor of love. Thanks for the info guys, I REALLY appreciate it!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Consider yourself lucky! Sounds like you got a nice project.
And I'm with ya there. I thought it was neat, turned out to be a bit of a nightmare, but I can't wait to get to where I can drive it.

Also sounds like you will have no porblem fixing any issues you come across - good luck!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Usually the source of corrosion is road salts and debris (salty slush and mud)kicked up by the tires. The boxes are fairly well sealed as an installed unit. There are a few small holes,...fuel line passthrough, front lower corner near frame rail in fender well and seam gaps here and there. Got to keep the water out! http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=A114ALH+01

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not too much road salt here in beautiful coastal va. The fuel line pass through is one of those things tha ford did that doesn't make much sense to me. The timing chain cover/water pump arrangement is another. But all in all, I am loving it and thinking about what it will become rather than what it is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts