Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing right torque box in '70 coupe, and the space between frame rail and rocker panel is too narrow. The TB I got from WCCC needs 11-3/16 inches, and I'm about 1/2 inch too narrow.

I can stick a jack in there to spread the rocker panel outward, but it seems kinda scary to distort the body like that. I don't have a lot of experience with body work... is this one of those places where you just simply have to force it, or is there some better way?

Does the shift in dimension portend major problems, or is it a common occurrence when removing TB?

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I have seen a number of cases where the replacement torque box was not being oriented correctly (and/or the one from the opposite side used) and so appeared to not fit correctly. How about posting a picture oriented in the way you believe is correct? Have you checked the part numbers against what is specified for the application?

You certainly should not need to be jacking anything to make space or anything like that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tb1.jpg tb2.JPG
1969XR7Vert:
First pic shows torque boxes from driver's view; they are clearly labled LH and RH. The RH has been separated into two pieces, as recommended by many. The second pic shows the measurement that is too narrow on the vehicle (frame rail to rocker panel). When actually making the measurement, the ruler is held so it is parallel to the ground with all parts in normal orientation. The space available is 3/8 to 1/2 too narrow.

The only part # is the 117 handwritten on the parts; they are from West Coast Classic Cougar.

The left side of the vehicle is unmodified, and the old TB seems to have same dimension as new TB. The right TB that I removed was chopped up in an attempt to avoid damage to other parts, so comparison isn't really possible.

It really looks like the rocker panel has shifted inward, but the car has not been subjected to any stress while disassembled. The rear-most 17 inches of floor pan are still in place on right side.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Kevin,

Okay on the labeling and that you are using the right part for the right side. Also, your orientation looks correct.

Here is what I see. The picture where you show the tape measure, the bottom part (below the tape in the picture) goes from the rocker flange to the bottom of the frame rail laid up to the rail from underneath, so not sure why that part would be deemed as not fitting since one side butts up (R) and the other lays up (L). On the vertical portion (above the tape in the picture) the left side butts up to the frame rail and the right side lays over the end of the front flange of the end of the rocker. Again, I do not see where this would be deemed as not fitting. Perhaps the end of the pieces look obviously out of place and thus your observations, but they do not butt on both sides in either case so theoretically you should be able to put the piece in and trim accordingly (not saying you should do this). Having said that, if the left side fits correctly and measurements on that side show that the new will fit properly in place of the old, that is a good sign. Do the measurements match between both of the replacement pieces (L & R)? Was there any evidence of damage on the TB you removed (crushed at all side to side) that would support the notion of the rocker being pushed inward? Do measurements L and R (of the car) suggest that the right side TB space is narrower than the left? The answer lays somewhere in the sorts of questions I am asking, detective work is called for (and should still be possible with where you are in the process).

BTW, please note the missing stubs on the inboard side (toward frame rail) of the tops (where your feet land) of the TB's. You need to either need to take the corresponding pieces from the original TB's or to make new pieces and append them to the new TB's once installed. See my ECI thread for more/pictures on this (early, in the first few pages). There is a flange on the frame rails that end facing where the toeboard sheet metal goes which the TB should lay up to. The way they are cut, the TB ends before it reaches the frame rail flange.

Also (and finally), please do take Tom up on his offer (call him) if my posts are not getting you going in the right direction. Tom is very helpful (and willing to help) and was a big help to me as I went through the process. On the other hand, I will help you however I can, just let me know what other questions you have and/or what doesn't make sense in what I have posted.

Good luck and regards,

Bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Adding a couple of photos to clarify.. I guess I'm using some incorrect terminology.

Additional question: There is a bracket at the front bottom of the TB (just below tape measure in photo). Must this be removed to get TB in place? It's not obvious to me yet because of other more fundamental problems I'm having.

Thanks for the comments.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Kevin,

I see what you are struggling with (and did not think about the two pieces together with their flanges). I would say that if the same measurement (of the car) on the other side shows 11 3/16" (rather than 10 3/4") then it is probably fair to assume that you need to make space. If the dimension is 10 3/4", then you will (obviously) have the problem again on the DS and need to look at the repro pieces in more detail.

In that case, like I was asking in my earlier post. Do both repro boxes measure out at 11 3/16" in the problem dimension?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts