Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the difference between close-ratio and wide-ratio Toploaders? :confused:

I'm specifically wondering about bellhousings (i.e. are the externally identical?), the difference in gear ratios, the output shafts, and the power handling capability (are they the same?).

Thanks folks! (And thanks sic67nes for reminding me of this question that I've had for a long time now!)

·
Registered
488 Posts
toploaders

the toploader 4 speeds are the same externally. it is the gears that are different. big input trans is always a close ratio but the others can be close or wide. the power handling is about the same. don't get suckered into an orion overdrive. they were based on the toploader but not the same and the gears might as well be made from glass. they are okay for a mild street car but thats it. the tailshaft housing has a D7DR number on it. hawkrod

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about specifics on the gear ratios? I'm sure it's somewhere on the 'net?

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Greg go to the link section the best toploader site is in there it will answer your questions and you can buy from them as well it is under the vendors section in links.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
O/D Tranny?

HawkRod,
There were some 1988-99 model o/d trannys in trucks that were not grannys, will these mate to a 429/460?
Has anyone ever tried this, some one just ask me about this and I didnt know what to say.
shane:D

·
Registered
488 Posts
to new

your out of my league on new stuff. i left lincoln mercury in 84 and have made it a habit to avoid any newer stuff (except my 86 SVO but that is a driver {VBG}!). hawkrod (BTW i am looking for a late model 351M or 460 5 speed granny for a 4X4 for my truck!)

·
Registered
676 Posts
There were some 1988-99 model o/d trannys in trucks that were not grannys, will these mate to a 429/460?

I'm not Hawkrod, but this is a question I might know the answer for. I'm pretty sure there is an manual o/d tranny that will mate to a 429/460. There is a guy on my Ford Truck mailing list with a 460 and I'm almost 100% positive he has an overdrive manual behind it from a truck around those years. I'll check with him and get back to you.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Well, my simple question to my mailing list buddy with the OD tranny behind his 460 took a while to answer, don't you just love mailing lists? But I found out he has a T170FT in his truck. Apparently it is from an 85 F-250. I also was pointed to this great web site that has a bunch of info on trannies:

http://www.motivegear.com/tech_info/tranny_guide/tranny_guide.html

It looks like they make a lighter duty version of his tranny for cars, so maybe you could get the truck version in your Cougar?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Re: O/D Tranny?

LiLWrink said:
HawkRod,
Has anyone ever tried this, some one just ask me about this and I didnt know what to say.
shane:D
My 89 F250 has that style 5 spd in it and although its not a true granny the 1st gear is too low to use on a regular basis. I still start out in 2nd all the time. Mines behind a 5.8 but my cousins got a 88 with a 460 and the trans ratios seem the same. mm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts