Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a line on a toploader. I am wondering what the overall length is. Is it close enough to the c4 so that if swapping from a c4 to a toploader I could avoid driveshaft modification? I have heard they use the same mount too. One more question, is there a difference in the 67 and 68 pedal assembly. If so, is it in the hanger or the pedals themself. Friend has a 67 clutch pedal I can get for free, but I have heard they are different. If it's a linkage issue, I may go with a aftermarket cable deal anyway.

·
11,000 Posts
Kirk,
You can make the '67 pedal assembly work in a '68. You will have to take the pedal assembly and bushings from the '67 and mount them to the '68 steering column support. I think there will be one or two holes to drill to provide a mounting place for the equalizer spring. The reason for the difference is that the 1968 has a collapsible steering column that also mounts to the pedal support. If you have all the parts from both cars you can make it work. All the actual linkage is the same, only the steering column and pedal support are different.

The driveshaft length is the same but the forward yoke is different for the C4. The same crossmember works for both transmissions. You will need a much longer speedometer cable and the plastic gear for a 4 speed application, the teeth on a C4 gear are backwards compared to the toploader part.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks Royce. I always like to see replies from you because you have yet to steer my wrong.

·
Registered
488 Posts
let me say sorry up front....

royce please accept my apologies but your information is wrong. the hanger bracket is identical for 67 and 68. the only differences in hangers is the power brake versus manual brake but you can convert them easily. the steering column bracket for a 68 mounts in the holes for the clutch equalizer spring bracket and all hangers have the holes even if they were never used. the 67 pedals may not work in a 68 because of the larger diameter of the 68 steering column. the 67 column is very narrow and the pedals hang straight down but the 68 column is larger in diameter and the pedals curve around it for extra clearance. the 67 will bolt in, but if there is any wear the pedals will rub on the column and that can be very unsafe. get the 67 pedals and then sell or swap them for 68 parts. i know several people who have made this work and two of them had accidents because the brake pedal hung up on the column. hawkrod

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
On this subject!

Royce, while on this subject, do you know if the pedal assembly from a 68 Mustang will work on a 70 Cougar conversion from C4 to toploader? I have the same mod I would like to do and the toploader and pedal assemblies are all from a 68 Stang with 302 and I would like to drop into my 70 351C....

Just thought I would ask while this subject was open. ;) :p:

Thanks in advance...

Dale

·
11,000 Posts
I have not messe with any 1970 Cougar pedal setups. I can say that 68 and 69 are the same. 1970 got the locking steering column which may or may not have affected things.

·
Registered
488 Posts
ouch!

sorry again, the 68 and 69 are not the same at all. the only part that will swap between 68 and 69 is the brake pedal. they are actually a little different but a 69 will fit a 68. i have not tried the other way so i can't say for sure. the 68 pedal has an extra bracket on it that does not actually do anything and it may hit if you use it on a 69. 67/8 clutch pedals won't work on 69/70 because of the design change of the dash which required a change to the over ride spring design. the 67/8 has a long hook end spring that is pulled as the pedal travels and the 69/70 uses a short compression spring with rollers on the ends. in reality all years of pedals are different up to 70. the 67 hang straight down around the narrow column, the 68's reach around the new wider column, the 69's have a revised hanger and over ride spring, and 70's are different again because of the new locking steering column and relocated power brake booster arm. if you have manual brakes 68-70 brake pedals are interchangeable and from what has been discussed here before i know you can swap 69/70 clutch pedals if you devise a bumper, the hangers will swap between 67 and 68 but 69 and 70 are year specific. to be truthful ford redesigned the pedals every year and there are 4 different clutch pedals, 10 different brake pedals (stick, auto, power and manual), 3 different hanger brackets, and two different clutch over ride springs. the only year swap that will work for sure without a problem is putting 68 pedals in a 67. hawkrod

·
11,000 Posts
Tom,
I have not laid the parts on a table side by side for comparison but what I have done is park a 1967 4 speed car next to a 1968 automatic C4 car and in two days the automatic car had a 4 speed and the 4 speed car, being a rust bucket went to the junk yard. I did not have any problem except with the pedal support on the 67 not being usable with the '68 steering column. I thought about using the '67 column but ended up using the '68 column in the finished product.

I robbed a lot of clutch linkage and the tilt column from a junkyard '69 351-4V and found all the parts fit a '68 302-4V. The pedals and pedal support stayed in the car so I suspect you are correct about the differences there.

·
Registered
488 Posts
yup!

the 69/70 column and linkage will work fine, it is just teh pedals and hanger that got changed. the 67 pedals will work as long as everything is tight but as the bushings wear the clutch pedal is drawn back towards the instrument cluster by the over ride spring. if you have manual brakes this makes the brake pedal arc in towards the column. when this happens the ribs on the colapsable column act as a nice stop for the pedal. i have one column here as i bought the car after the wreck and he actually did a great job trying to deform the column with the brake pedal! i only need to know about one (but i have seen two) to make me shy away from trying it. again please accept my apologies but a lot of people read this and although i am sure you and i would make sure everything is up to snuff there are a lot of less knowledgable people who may make a mistake and i would feel bad if i didn't send up a red flag. thanks, tom

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I did it on a 67 mustang, used the same tranny mount and drive shaft. smooth swap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts