Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a parts car with a toploader 4spd. It did not have 1-2 gears, so I pulled it out and opened up the top cover. I noticed that the cam was broken. I have never had one apart, so can anyone offer up some advice?
Does it require a full teardown?
Anyone have a pdf repair manual I can download?
Thanks,
Cory

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
What do you mean by "cam"? Shift fork perhaps?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
It's been WAY too long since I did mine, but thinking that the gear cluster has to come out in order to slide that out/in, not to mention the shift rods needign to be out as well. So you are talking pretty much a full teardown I believe.

As for the info to do that, the shop manual set should have what you need. Not too expensive to buy repro.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
You will need a press to take apart and rebuild the four speed.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a press, but I am wondering if it is possible to remove the whole shaft with all the gears still attatched so i do not have to completely rebuild the trans?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
As I recall, once you drop the driven shaft, and remove the input shaft, the drive shaft will come out as an assembly. But, if you have the press, a rebuild kit isn't much money. Usually the press is the one thing most folks don't have..

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
If it broke a cast or powdered metal component inside, then it needs to be taken down and probably have the case run through a parts washer or hand washed, and the bearings probably need to be checked. Unless you're just going to flip it and don't care about your moto-karma.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
The transmission has to be totally disassembled (except reverse) to replace the shift levers/cams.
You must press off the output shaft bearing before you can get the mainshaft out. Best done in a press but I've done it many, many times with a BFH and an aluminum drift. You MUST take the snap ring off the front of the mainshaft before you drive the mainshaft out of the output bearing or you will ruin the shaft.
All the shift shafts must come out first. Keep up with the detents!

Use a dummy cluster shaft (made from a 7/8" wooden dowel) to drop the cluster to the bottom of the case. Then you can remove the input.

Not the easiest transmission to overhaul.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It will be a little while before I can get a rebuild kit, but is one vendors better than another? I was looking at David Kees' or Top Loader Heaven kits.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
It will be a little while before I can get a rebuild kit, but is one vendors better than another? I was looking at David Kees' or Top Loader Heaven kits.
I like Mark at Toploader heaven. Good guy and he doesn't mind spending a few minutes on the phone to get a problem sorted out.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I have found David Kee to be a good guy as well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I finally got around to rebuilding the top loader. All in all it wasnt too bad. Took me forever, until I actually understood what I was doing. Now Im sure I could go through one in half the time.
I still have to put the speedo gear on the output shaft, but I am wondering why you can order different ones. I thought to match the tire size/gear ratio you changed the gear at the end of the speedo cable itself. Is this a Top loader specific thing?
I am going to be using 3.89 gears.
I was going to order the correct gear from David Kee, until the shipping price showed up just as much as the gear itself. Hoping that is a mistake.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
"Is this a Top loader specific thing?"
No, their are lots of choices for the driven gear, as there are a lot rear end gearing choices..Do I understand you correctly, that David Key sells the right driven gear for a 3.89 rear end?

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
You probably need the pink DRIVE gear for that rear ratio.
If you had the part number you could probably still order it from Ford.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Art, just so I don't confuse anybody, drive gear is the gear on the output shaft, and the driven gear is on the end of the speedometer cable, correct?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Art, just so I don't confuse anybody, drive gear is the gear on the output shaft, and the driven gear is on the end of the speedometer cable, correct?
Yes, correct.

This is the part Im referring to:
http://4speedtoploaders.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/speedometergears.html

So I would need this gear and also the correct speedo cable gear?
Yes, I would get the *C5ZZ-17285-A (pink) drive gear and the 18 tooth C2DZ-17271-F driven gear for the 3:89 ratio.

*For Mustang/Cougar toploaders

1 - 20 of 25 Posts