Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i'm building a 68' cougar. I found a 4 speed toploader for it but the original car was an automatic. Can I use the original power brake assembly and put in the clutch pedal with it? If there is already a thread on this i'm sorry.
Also, where is a good place to find toploader parts? clutches, forks, etc...

Thanks,
Josh

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Josh,

You can use the PDB pedal but you'll need to cut down the metal for the pad as the one on the MT PDB pedal is smaller (similar in size to the clutch pedal pad but shaped like the PDB pad you have now only not as wide). This is what I did on my car.

As for the clutch and throwout fork and that sort of thing, pick your favorite parts vendor. I use Mustangs unlimited a lot since the parts usually show up in one day and the prices are good. You do have to be careful of quality on some things though. National Parts Depot is good too. If you don't mind paying more and knowing it will fit and is of good quality is important, West Coast Classic Cougar is a great place to go.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Josh,
The 4-speed cars come with a pedal box assembly that is a "must have" to install a clutch pedal. The 4-speed brake pedal is completely different that an automatic brake pedal. And so is the brake light switch to boot. I'll tell you what I know to be the truth, a truth that you don't want to hear, but a truth that you too will one day agree with and then, counsel others, to heed the advice: If you want a car with a four-speed, then buy a car with a 4-speed. Do not attempt to install one into a car that did not come with one. Sorry. Hey! I didn't make the world, but I do live in it... and so do you.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
It's a bit of work, but can be done for a driver car. I converted my 68 Cougar to a five speed, and I LOVE it.

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Are the 67-68 pedal assemblies a lot different than the '69? I converted a '69 to a 4 speed years ago. Started with a 351W and an FMX. Here's what I had to do:

1. Purchased a complete used 4-speed pedal assembly. Had the correct pedals and the clutch assist spring. Note that I pretty much disassembled the whole dash to do this.
2. Punched hole in firewall at the factory-marked location for clutch rod.
3. Installed clutch arm, rods, etc. Consider adding some cross-bracing to the clutch lever arm. They seem to bend.
4. Purchased new speedo cable. Mine was fried, but I'm pretty sure the 4-speed version is different from most of the automatics. Make sure your speedo gears match rear gears. You may need to pull the tailshaft housing off of the 4-speed to see what drive gear is installed.
5. Installed pilot bushing in rear of crankshaft
6. Installed clutch, trans, shifter (make sure you've got the right transmission crossmember). Make sure the shifter supports the backup lights. I didn't mess with it (racecar)
7. Shortened driveshaft (or get correct used part). Had to use a different yoke on the front of the shaft. Toploader not same as FMX or C6, not sure about C4's.
8. Put car back on ground and do some cool 4-speed burnouts.

Have fun. It is worth the effort if you enjoy driving a stick car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts