Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a guy that I know that wants to sell his old toploader and im looking to figure out if it ll fit in my car and what parts ill be needing if so

My car was orignally a four speed but the previous owner switched that out and put a c4 in it. My cars got a 67 289 in it and the transmission that im looking at is from a 428 car. Is swaping in a different bellhousing possible? Will i need new fly wheel, drive shaft and starter? How much is one of those transmissions worth in good shape? Any help is much appresiated

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
If its an original 428 transmission and you can buy it cheap, sell it and buy one for a small block. Besides the fact that you'll come out ahead, $ wise, a factory 428 toploader will be far from ideal in your 289 application. For one thing, the input shaft is slightly shorter, so you won't get sufficient engagement with the pilot bushing without custom parts.
Second, the 428 input shaft has a different spline count. You'll have a hard time finding a clutch disc that fits the input splines and will also work with a small block pressure plate.
Third, all factory 428 transmissions are close ratio, meaning they have a tall first gear. Unless you have, or are willing to install, low (high numerically) rear axle gears, acceleration will be compromised.
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but it'll be a lot less trouble, and you'll be happier with the end result, if you find a wide-ratio small-block transmission.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Go to David Kee Motorsports. This site has a chart that will list the correct transmission for your car. There's a guy down here that has listed a HEH-G 018933 for a 64 Mustang 260 or 289, 25 spline for $500.00, I still have his information if your interested. Sal

1 - 3 of 3 Posts