Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1967 Cougar had the transmission replaced years ago with a three speed. Now I am looking to find a suitable replacement 4 speed. I seem to find BBF or close ratio. Have not been able to find a SBF Wide ratio that wont break my bank. I dont know how rare they are. I would like to find something before summer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can you tell me if a ID tag: RUG BF 1 would fit? My only requirement is it function correctly. My car is to make some memories with my kids.

·
11,000 Posts
That toploader will fit. It is a wide ratio box from a '72 Fairlane. One thing to look at is the tail shaft. Typically these will have two positions to mount a shifter. If so then you are good. You will need the Mustang / Cougar shifter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That one got a way. I did pickup a different toploader. It has no tag. It has a case number of C5AR-7006-D and tail number of C4ZR-7A040-A. The input shaft is a small block type and it has wide ratio gears.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you want the best possible outcome, you may want to contact David Kee Toploaders in San Antonio. Not only do they manufacture all new toploader parts, and rebuild transmissions; but they sell brand new ones as well. Probably cheaper than you might expect.

·
Registered
26 Posts
used 4 speeds have gotten up there in price. Expect to pay close to 1k give or take a hundred for a used one.

I am in the same market currently, debating if I go 4spd or spend a little more and go t5

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
used 4 speeds have gotten up there in price. Expect to pay close to 1k give or take a hundred for a used one.

I am in the same market currently, debating if I go 4spd or spend a little more and go t5
I pondered that T5 as well, but realistically It will only take one or two trips over an hour a year. Maybe one true road trip ever to kick off my sons senior year in high school still four years away. At any rate I have my rebuild kit from David Kee and ready to start digging into it.

·
11,000 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
For whomever, now or in the future, I have a RUG-E3 totally rebuilt and in perfect operating order, concours detailed. Would love to find a good home for it. Hurst Comp Plus and Super Shifter III available as well. Isabel started her new life with this transmission. That is until I replaced the 351C and the Toploader of which I speak with a 408C and TKO-600.

PM me with interest.

Regards,

Robert

1 - 11 of 11 Posts