Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took the cougar for a tranny service at transmission shop it is a 69 with a c4 they changed my fluid and filter when i got it back it seemed like the transmission was driving different sounded loud and felt a kind of vibration in first gear checked fluid and close to two pints overfilled could a overfilled transmission cause driving issues and what are symptoms of slipping in automatic did not drive it much

·
Registered
136 Posts
Vinny-Two pints overfilled will just go out an overflow tube, thus the leaking on the garage floor sooner or later. And fluid shouldn't be that over full.
Symptoms of a slipping auto trans would be sluggish, elongated shifts from one gear to the other.
Sounds like the trans is in worse shape after you had the shop service it.
See my response to "351 Head passages clogged".

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
did they use type F fluid?.....

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Overfilling it could cause it to foam up a bit to much, but the wrong fluid will definately effect the performance since the clutch plates are designed to work with the correct type fluids. You can "drain" it out some by getting one of those handpumps with a long hose that you can snake down the fill tube. It's better than dropping the pan again, plus you can save the fluid if your careful. See what happens....BTW make sure you run it through all the gears prior to checking levels......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts