Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem folks.
I have to rebuild the engine in my Cougar. I have lots of rebuildables laying around and wonder which one to put in the car.
In the car now is a 351W. I have two 360's laying around,( at least one of them, possibly both of them, are truck engines). I have a 390 truck engine and a 352 from a 65 or 66 Galaxie. I finally have a 289 that was last rebuilt at least 20 years ago.(Just as an aside I also have a 331 Olds Jetfire.)
All of these engines need to be completely rebuilt. All of them except the 351W are not running at present.
Thanks in advance,
John B.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Personally, I'd keep the 351W. There's more you can do with it with the aftermarket parts availability standpoint, it is lighter by 100+ pounds, and if you want to stroke it, there are stroker kits available to take your 351W all the way up to 427 inches (although I wouldn't go farther than the 394). If you changed to a FE motor, you'd have to change bellhousings or transmissions, motor mounts, accessories, belts, hoses, exhaust system....

Keep the Windsor.

Just my 2c

·
Registered
600 Posts
I agree the windsor is there so why mess with all the pains of swapping;)
By the way John did you ever scan those colors in from your wife for me?
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Well, if money is not a problem, then I would go with the 390. You will have to upgrade a lot but it will be worth it when you stomp it at 40 and light the tires...There is no substitute for cubic inches...

Bruce

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I agree on the 390, only if you have ALL the nececellery pieces to go with the swap (mounts, tranny, linkage, suspension pieces, upgraded brakes, cooling, etc). Or you can come close with a stroker 351W without having to do any other changes to the car and it will cost less.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
It really depends on what you want.People have opinons on what to build.I will tell ya i was taken for a ride in a 69 w/ a 351w and i will say it scared the ^u&k out of me.It was very powerful nad now he wants to go nitrous and a 4.88 rear gear in it . I say either the 390 or the 351w forget the rest
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Buy a crate motor like me or put the 331 Olds Jetfire in.
;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts