Mercury Cougar Owners banner

What to remove?

• Top vinyl only

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Top and side moulding(long strip on side)

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Top side and wheel well moulding

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leave them on!

Votes: 4 30.8%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok second poll in my quest for making my Cat better..
Should i keep the vinyl top or not, also should i keep the side molding or not?

Lemme hear your thoughts and thanks for all your help in the Keeping it stock or not post...i have decided to let my creativity fly!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I subscribe to Cougarguy's "takes a man to cut her up" theory. I'm shaving the door handles, rain gutters and taking off the chrome on the wheel wells. Again it is your car and you have to live with it.

My .02.

·
Registered
519 Posts
That side molding may be all that stands between your car and parking lot nicks and dings caused by careless people.

The wheel molding looks nice with the rocker molding, IMO.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I say, get rid of the top and side molding.
Careless people should not stand in the way of a dream car!
And I'm with Evil on the rocker- and wheelwell moldings.

Cheers!
Matthijs

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I say keep it looking original, but I'm not fond of side mouldings. Mine isn't a daily driver and NOBODY ever parks next to it within door reach! But if it came on your 73 I'd keep it for convenience and protection, especially if it is a daily driver. But IMHO it looks way better without it.

I like the top, trim and color combo.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I say take it all off and run her down the road naked.:eek2:

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
None of the above. You don't have a poll response answer to 'Remove just the body side molding'. That would be my choice.

Personally, I like the half top. It sets our Cats apart from the crowd.

Wheel opening moldings? If yours are in good shape, keep em. If you are looking to replacing them with NOS, good luck! I have a spare set of NOS, but you wouldn't like to pay the going price for the set!

Same goes for the rocker moldings. If yours are good, keep 'em. I have an extra pair of NOS rocker moldings. I've heard that they go for $500 each these days. Yikes!

I might be tempted to sell off my spare NOS pieces to someone doing a Concours restoration. Frankly my Cats aren't anywhere near that caliber so it would be a waste of extremely rare pieces to put them on any of mine.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I totally agree with you on the NOS parts thing, i think i may just remove the side moulding ..i totally forgot about that part...lol

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I say repaint it the same way with the top and mouldings and find a set of those keystone classic wheels with the gold centers. Or....strip the vinyl and moulding off and paint it brite yellow or british racing green to match the ginger interior and put a contrasting paint stripe down the side.
John
wvcat

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats a damn good idea leon! I never even thought to get the rest done first...lol. I think i was so happy that it was drivable that i never even thought to work on them.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Ideas...

I'll throw my hat into the ring on this one. Knowing how hard it is to prep a roof for paint after the vinyl has been removed, I'd say leave that on, particularly since it appears to be in good shape. I left mine on. Dave, your car looks pretty good with the wheel moldings and rocker panel strip, so I'd leave them on too. I would remove the side molding AND the Mercury and Cougar emblems to smooth off the body a little without going the full custom route. Besides they're a pain to wax around. In keeping the same interior and top color, the stock color looks nice but a larger diameter wheel will make a big difference, kinda like Leon was trying to show you. If you do change the color to a dark green or so, then I think the top has to go. If you opt for a lighter color like a light yellow or white, keep the top.

Those are my ideas. Chip Foose and Thom Taylor I'm not. But I think all your car needs is what's considered a "shave and a haircut."

Mark

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think you may be right how about a nice gold color, or maybe white i have always liked white cougars:)
Oh and the top is nice ut it is starting to rust underneath tnear the windshield:(

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Keep it all. I love the originality of the era.
If you get rid of the wheel well mouldings...I want them. My Ginger's mouldings are shot!;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts