Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I worked for a couple hours this afternoon on my $300 Sidewinder intake. Installed eight helicoils to repair stripped valve cover bolt holes and the road draft tube hole cover bolts. Also had to grind reliefs into the area of the pushrod tubes where some gorilla used a prybar to remove the intake. Still need to drill and tap the PCV plumbing holes and plug the oil filer hole with a 1 1/4" core plug.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
You da man Royce. I wanna be you in my next life!!!!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Ok Royce, what is the significance of a Sidewinder intake. With all the work it needed, it must be a worthwhile part to restore.

·
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has a lot more plenum area than any other Ford produced 427 Medium Riser 4V intake. The carb base is offset 1/2" to the drivers side to make the runners longer. Hence the nickname. While it has long runners and big plenum it is still a dual plane intake so it makes big power in the mirdange area too. On a 452 CI engine low end is not an issue.

Similar intakes in perfect shape sell in the $450 - $600 range on Ebay.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Thanks for the info Royce and congrats on the sidewinder purchase....seems like minimal work for maximum savings :D

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what will you do with that intake? Are you going to race the big cube FE car in NHRA street classes?

·
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The big cube car is not legal for any of the classes except straight brackets and I don't want to install a rollbar. It's just going to see the occasional test & tune at Edgewater drag strip.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Now that's what it's all about. Just having fun enjoying the personal work put into a project. Thanks for sharing Royce!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Royce,

Your are simply amazing! A scholar and a gentleman...well a scholar anyhow...;)

:D

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
"Now that's what it's all about. Just having fun enjoying the personal work put into a project. "

-AMEN to that!:alien:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts