Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am swapping the roof on my 68' with a donor I found. The reason being mine has the vinyl top of death. My question to you good people is should I go ahead and put another vinyl top on the new roof or bare it all and go with a stripe design like this? In fact save for a rear deck and chin spoiler this is what my car should look like in the end. Mine may have parchment colored stripes to match the interior.

5V65Z25W33n33k33lcbao60cab8c86b991518.jpg

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
one more option---67/68 cougars were available as a tu-tone using mostly polar white or black---they used the same trim as a vinyl top car---you do not have to fill the holes then
doctordesoto

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
ahhh that is the question! I say no - but I'm a fan of clean lines, no stripes, and smooth lines....personally I think it invites a haven for moisture/rust/corrosion. Guess it depends on how concourse you want to be...or just if you like the look really. If you will always garage it - it won't make much diff - especially in your kneck of the woods.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I just installed a black top, was easier than I expected. But is a personal choice. Sounds like you would rather go with a few non original mods that would be best with no vinyl.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I used the 3M Super Adhesive, about 3 cans. Gotta overlap evenly and no dry spots.

·
Registered
669 Posts
When I redid the vinyl top on the '68, I painted the top with por15 first to seal it. I'll let you know in 20 years if any rust comes out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts