Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm looking for an opinion from fellow Cougar enthusiasts...

I own a '69 XR-7 convertible that I've recently considering selling because I have my eye on some acreage for our retirement home. My Cougar usually sits in my garage and I drive it seasonally... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my car... it's a red/white top 4-speed and it's AWESOME when I drive it. I'm sure y'all know the feeling... lots of get-up & go through the gears, prolonged looks from passers-by, throaty exhaust pipes, etc. However... I wonder if I'm doing more harm than good by not driving it weekly? For instance, it's been rather frigid here so I haven't driven it for a couple weeks, so I drive my nice warm, insulated Jeep instead. Bummer, right...

So, if you were me... would you sell or keep? Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Phillip

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Wow, that's a tough one. I guess it all depends on your goal. If you would be able to retire sooner, or more comfortably by selling the Cougar and you can live with doing that, then by all means sell it and enjoy your retirement.
I am in the middle of restoring my Convertable and know that in about 10 years I will likely have to sell it to help pay for my kids college or one of thier weddings. (Unless I win the lottery or something) But, I started my restoration knowing that I would eventually have to sell it for the good of my family.
It all boils down to what is right for you and your family. Only you can truly make that decision. (just my 2 cents)

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Post some pictures! My mouth is watering... Factory 351w 4v? You will never find another, properly cared for and stored you are doing it no harm by letting it sit 9 months a year.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Having gone through this decision myself, all I can tell you is to make it a right-brain decision. Occasional driving won't harm the car, as long as it gets to fully warm up when you do drive it. So it's really aboit the cost-benefit assessment. The market is down right now and the value of the car may not be what you think, so make sure you do your research and use accurate sources. Forget NADA. The values there are way out of sync with the current market. Look at actual sales on eBay and note what the biddging got up to for those cars that didn't sell. Talk to folks like Don Rush (a member here) of West Coast Classic Cougar or John Benoit (also a member here) of Cascade Classics. Both know the Cougar market well.

Once you really understand the value of the car, consider the opportunity cost of leaving that value locked up in it. Is there enough value to make a material difference in achieving your retirement goals? If not, the recreational cost of not having the car to enjoy may outweigh the opportunity cost.

I went through this same thought process with CatVert, which is virtually irreplaceable, and decided that I didn't have enough time to enjoy it so the opportunity cost was fairly high. While I still miss the car at times, I'm comfortable I made the right decision for the right reasons and that makes it easier to accept. In my case, I was able to take part of the proceeds and buy another Cougar while still satisfying my original objective for selling. So that also helps.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
It comes down to what you are comfortable with.
I only drive mine on nice summer days. the rest of the time, it has it's spot in the garage. I enjoy too much the few times I drive it around, and I try to do one nice long trip a year.

My 2 cents.

Jean

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
To consider how long to retirement short or long? When you retire what are you going to want to do (drive your cougar around) If you sell your primary house you need to sink the proceeds into the new house and land....I always say i will never sell this or that and I do, do i miss them yes but another one always seems to come around...I have had my 69 xr7 convertible for sale for 4 months and not getting any good bites on her, so may not be the best time to sell a car...

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Hello all,... XR-7 convertible... it's a red/white top 4-speed and it's AWESOME when I drive it. So, if you were me... would you sell or keep? Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks, Phillip
Phil, Hello. Been there & done that... Sold a unique Cougar in 2005 to help finance the building of a new home for our Family.

On the subject of your dilema; Cougar or Land?... Maybe approach it from the position of what's in the best interest for you and your family relative to life goals. Would you enjoy the ground and possibly a new home more than the Cougar? Or, would you be comfortable with borrowing money to purchase land while keeping your Cougar? Interest rates are still pretty low and it's not getting any cheaper to restore a Classic Cat (LOL).

Happy New Year !

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Phillip,

Keep it! I would do some investigating to see if in today's market the estimated selling price of your CAT would make the difference between you being able to secure the property.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Please don't speak those words again. The last person in group that said this, our nurse ordered shock therapy and I "I mean HE" still doesn't feel well! Just kidding.Do what is right for yourself & family. Dave.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Tough one Phil.....are you saying you would have to have the $ from the sale to make it work? IF not - whats the harm in keeping it until the market turns up or until your health gets to a point you can't benefit from it? The question alone makes me think you would like to keep it for a bit, nothing wrong with that. Simple maintenance will keep her good as new. The less you drive it the less maintenance you need. Just don't store it in a fashion that is detrimental to the cars well being (i.e. under a tarp that doesn't breath in the blistering humidity).

Now if you decide to sell I'm sure you will find plenty of us willing to make room in our garages>>>nudge, nudge, say no more! ;>)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts