Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my car. It's a 1968 Cougar XR-7, and as you can see it needs a paint job and is going to get one pretty soon. I am in high school, and in high school everyone always wants to deck there cars out, you know, body kits on these little imports and shelby clones at every turn. What a lot of my peers tell me to do, is to put spoilers (front and rear) and hood pins, and and put an eliminator style hood scoop. What I want to know is what my fellow cougar owners think of this. If money is no option would you do it? Or would you keep it as an original XR-7? here is a pick of my car how it looks right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
XR-7G or GT-E add-ons

Most of us like the Cougar styling because it was classic in it's own time. Notably the smooth lines, hidden head lights and the sequential tail lights. Adding a bunch of J.C. Witney crap destroys the clean design.

Personally, I don't like a rear spoiler on a 67/68. You can restomod using original style parts, there were three different hood scoops that were used on 1968 Cougars. The XR7-G "bubble"scoop, the very similar GT-E 427 style and the later GT-E 428CJ Eliminator style. Hood pins were also available.

What engine is it? If it's a big block 390 or 428 I'd restore it to original PERIOD. If it's a 289/302 and you are not concerned with originality and want to Restomod and money's no object? Then........
If I was going to Restomod a 1968 Cougar XR7 I'd keep it subtle. It would be lowered, fat Comp T/As on Vintage wheels, hood pins, bubble hood scoop, 5.0 with a Vortech supercharger, 5 speed, 3:91 gears, 2 1/2" exhaust , GT-E exhaust tips, 3 chamber Flo-Masters, subframe connectors. Global West suspension upgrades. Maybe a small chin spoiler. No body modification what-so-ever.

The color combo is up to you. I've always liked Saddle leather with Dark blue metallic paint, I saw it on a 68 GT-E 427 once. A beauty. But you've gotta have painted pin stripes!!! Also some nice after-market seats would need to be upholstered in matching leather. I would also add a power window kit (the only thing the early Cougar's interior lacked). Oh, and a killer Audio with a Navigation system..........maybe $25K to do it right.

It's a fun fantasy, but I prefer restored over restomod. It's a better return on your investment. More than that, I like to preserve their history.
My 2 cents!

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
It all depends on taste, but anything that cuts into sheet metal may be expensive in the long run. Cars that have been cut up usually sell lower than one that hasn't had holes cut in the trunk, hood and fenders. If you plan to keep the car, spoilers and other mods will lose their luster over time. Flash and glitz on the exterior do not a hot car make...

If you have the cash to play with, why not spend it under the metal, instead of using it on top. For the price of spoilers, flares and other showy stuff, you could buy some nice performance upgrades. How about rack and pinion steering, heavy duty braking, suspension kits etc? Impress your friends by running circles around them and having the best handling car around. Tell them looks are nice, but your stock looking sleeper will thrash them on the track...then prove it to them.

·
Registered
448 Posts
resto or no

Chad,
Do not give in to the "Dark Side" young Jedi!! All the bolt on body stuff takes away from the classic lines of the 67-68. If it is a fairly original, straight car my advice would be, do not alter the body. At the most you may want to add a model correct hood scoop from a G, GTE or R code 68. But I would suggest that you go no further than that. Your best bet for future value and long term enjoyment would be to restore to original. But if the car has already been altered beyond restoration or it is not in your budget, make your mods to the things that really matter. Engine, suspension and braking upgrades will make the car a lot more fun to drive. And it is a whole lot cooler to have a car that looks good and runs great than a car that looks great but can't get out of it's own way. When I was in high school I had a 69 standard Cougar. I beat the crap out of it, and eventually killed it. I would give anything to have it back in original condition. If you do not hack up the car, someday you will be glad you didn't. My current project was beyond complete restoration when I purchaesd it. It would have cost twice what it is worth to restore the car. From the outside the car appears totally stock. But I have made extensive mods to the engine, trans, rear and suspension. Car looks good, drives great. You can't imagine the surprise when I smoke the average Mustang GT or Sport Compact. When I was your age I probably would have strapped all the crap in the world on my car if I had the money, the fact that you are asking for opinions shows that you are at least one step ahead on the maturity scale. If you wan't to see what a clean sleeper Cougar looks like check out my website next week, I should have it updated with pictures of the finished product by then.

http://home.sprynet.com/~pamar/cougar.html

Good luck with the car, keep us posted on your plans
Paul G.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Chad,
DON'T TOUCH THAT CAR!!! Man oh man, she's a beauty. Like most of the group already said, spend your money in or under. Engine, suspension, interior, best of luck and we want pictures. :)

Sandra

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
restomod?

Hi Chad,
I have a restomod 70 cougar and I love it but I am planing on restoring it back to original when my budget permits. Here's my opinion, and some may not agree but put the cat in the garage and go but a mini-truck, cut the roof off, slam it, put more speakers in than could possibly fit and paint something wild on it!!!!!! Now, go to the garage and restore the cat as time and money is available and get the cat ready for weekend cruises and cat events!!!! Make it look great with new paint (original color) and some new chrome & upolstery. Of course thats if the car is basically a clean original that doesn't need everything.
They never made a 68 eliminator so that wouldn't look right, cloneing a GTE would not be easy because finding the right parts would be impossible, so the only other option is custom.
Good Luck whatever you decide
John

·
Registered
33 Posts
Chad:
This is what look my wife is after on our 68 XR7. Let me know what wheel and tire size you are running as well as the bumper center center height front and back. I agree that you do not want to make it look like an Eliminator because one wasn't available to start with... Keep it like it is an build the snot out of the motor. It is more fun to have a car that runs 11's than one which looks like it does...
--MG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts